Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Florida Maps?

DCEmu Newbie

Default Florida Maps?

I was wonder if there is a place to download already created maps or various areas? Would be a good idea just to have a collection somewhere.

Anyways, how would i go about creating maps for Central Florida? I would need basicly the I-4 Corridor (Tampa->Orlando->Daytona), and also the areas of Winter Haven/Lakeland (Haines City, Davenport, Auburndale, Polk City, Eagle Lake, Bartow).

Also US17 from Winter Haven South (down through Ft. Myers) would be nice.

Would I need to create separate maps for all these areas? If so, when using the GPS-290 would it just continue to the next 'map'? Ie: go from the I-4 area map to the Winter Haven area map?

Also what zoom level is good to start with? (using gmd 0.2.1a)

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by mz_ View Post
    I was wonder if there is a place to download already created maps or various areas? Would be a good idea just to have a collection somewhere.

Anyways, how would i go about creating maps for Central Florida?

Would I need to create separate maps for all these areas? If so, when using the GPS-290 would it just continue to the next 'map'? Ie: go from the I-4 area map to the Winter Haven area map?

Also what zoom level is good to start with? (using gmd 0.2.1a)
    If I recall correctly Deniska or In7ane made a post in which they stated that the companies which we use to make our maps do not want the maps posted for download.

When I can get on my PC I'll check and see how much of Central FL you can fit in a map for Map This!. What size memory card do you have?

I live in South FL and I managed to make a map that covers from south of FL City/Homestead area to north of Jupiter and from the Ocean to the edge of the Everglades. The map has all of the zoom levels for the area and is a Microsoft Virtual Earth Hybrid. I can zoom in and see my house and all of the streets are labeled.
    It is really quite impressive.

No, Map This! will not "know" to switch from one map to the next, you will have to do that manually.

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by An0nJ0hn View Post
    If I recall correctly Deniska or In7ane made a post in which they stated that the companies which we use to make our maps do not want the maps posted for download.

When I can get on my PC I'll check and see how much of Central FL you can fit in a map for Map This!. What size memory card do you have?

I live in South FL and I managed to make a map that covers from south of FL City/Homestead area to north of Jupiter and from the Ocean to the edge of the Everglades. The map has all of the zoom levels for the area and is a Microsoft Virtual Earth Hybrid. I can zoom in and see my house and all of the streets are labeled.
    It is really quite impressive.

No, Map This! will not "know" to switch from one map to the next, you will have to do that manually.

I have a 4GB card (and the 32MB one also). I'll have to start playing around wth GMDL a little more.

DCEmu Newbie

I have a 4GB card (and the 32MB one also). I'll have to start playing around wth GMDL a little more.
    Yeah, It took a bit of trial and error to make the map I described to you. That map, by the way, is 3.07 GB.

I wish we could uncheck level 1 zoom in GMDL. I've been trying to make a map of FL and it is not possible with zoom 1x selected. FL is just too large an area to make a map of it no matter which type of map I choose and no matter how few zoom levels I include. I even tried taking out all of the zoom levels except the two that are locked and no luck. Hopefully in a later version of GMDL we will be able to not select 1x zoom.

DCEmu Newbie

Default Omitting more detailed zoom levels.

You can do that with the program already. Click on the advanced button and enter a new 'min zoom' number. Try '1' or '2' and click 'Preview', the preview window will show you the new estimated size going down.

DCEmu Newbie

Just downloaded the newest GMDL (0.4.16b).

Using VE Map (Regular, not Hybrid or Sat) I have most of of Central Florida covered (From Daytona to Venice).

My question now is, what zoom levels are used most, or ones that are really needed?

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by tolonen View Post
    You can do that with the program already. Click on the advanced button and enter a new 'min zoom' number. Try '1' or '2' and click 'Preview', the preview window will show you the new estimated size going down.
    Sweet. Thanks. I'll try that out. That should help me out a lot. I've never messed with the advanced options as I didn't want to mess anything up in there. I may be able to make a map of FL after all.

DCEmu Newbie

Just downloaded the newest GMDL (0.4.16b).

Using VE Map (Regular, not Hybrid or Sat) I have most of of Central Florida covered (From Daytona to Venice).

My question now is, what zoom levels are used most, or ones that are really needed?
    I only really need two levels, one up close such as 2x, and one much farther out. I think that is pretty much a personal preference issue as it is nice to be able to have all of the different zoom levels but they are not really needed.

DCEmu Newbie

Another quick question. Can you delete .png files? FL has alot of lakes/ocean/empty land with no roads on it, so I was wondering if I could delete those files?

DCEmu Newbie

Another quick question. Can you delete .png files? FL has alot of lakes/ocean/empty land with no roads on it, so I was wondering if I could delete those files?
    Unfortunately, I don't know. I remove the tiles that are all ocean on the screen that pops up with the tiles that have check marks on them.
    I uncheck all of the tiles that are just ocean and the Map Maker app. does not download any of the zoom levels for those tiles. As for the lakes, I've never tried removing them in any way. I fear deleting those .png files might cause problems loading the map but once again I don't know. Try it with a small map and see what happens.
    I wouldn't know how to do that because when my maps finish they are all in GPSFS format meaning there are no 1x, 2x, ... etc. file folders. I get GPSFS, GPSFS1, ...etc. The only time I get the 1x type folders is when the map doesn't complete downloading for some reason.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information