The Elder Scrolls Online should be available to all Xbox One owners, even if they don’t subscribe to Xbox Live.
That’s the opinion of Bethesda, which says that it is pushing Microsoft to liberate the MMO from the confines of the Xbox Live Gold paywall.
With plans to utilise both a monthly £8.99 subscription and in-game microtransactions, Bethesda is unsurprisingly not keen on requiring Xbox One players to fork out an additional £39.99 per year to access the game.
"We feel like most people such as yourself currently pay that subscription not to pay a game, but to play all games online,” Bethesda marketing boss Peter Hines told OXM.
"So in that sense, when I'm playing Call of Duty online I don't feel like I'm paying my monthly Xbox Live sub for Call of Duty – I'm just paying it because that's a thing that I do, and whatever game I'm playing at the time is the one that benefits.
"Having said that, we have been in talks with Microsoft about that very thing, and seeing whether or not there's any room to change their minds about that, for folks who are only paying The Elder Scrolls Online and don't want to pay for an Xbox Live Gold subscription, just to pay the Elder Scrolls Online.
"The answer right now is that's the way it works, but it's something that we're aware of and we keep pushing on, to see if there's something that can be done. We'll let you know if there's movement there."
With Microsoft’s history of locking the vast bulk of Xbox Live content behind the Gold paywall, we’re not sure if we fancy Bethesda’s chances.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/bethe...aywall/0120502