Thread: Review: WiiD Modchip (DMS/D2A/D2B)

Reviews Webmaster/Reviewer bandit's Avatar

Rev

WiiD Modchip (DMS/D2A/D2B)
    Manufacturer: WiiD
    Site: Buy from Mod-Chip
    Price: $34.95

Overview : The WiiD is a fully featured Nintendo Wii mod, easy to install, easy to upgrade, compatible with every single Wii console system.

Ideal for Wii advanced users. More features to be added in future with software upgrades.

Features
    • Non Swap/Direct Boot for Wii backups.
    • Non Swap/Direct Boot for GC backups
    • Non Swap/Direct Boot for Homebrew in GC mode
    • Non Swap/Direct Boot for NTSC region Wii games/backups on US and JAP consoles
    • Boots PAL Backups/Originals on NTSC WII consoles (partially without swapping)
    • Boots NTSC Backups/Originals on PAL WII consoles (partially without swapping)
    • Boots different region GC Games Original/Backups Imports (partially without swapping)
    • EUROPE/USA/JAPAN Wii Console Supported
    • Double soldering option, 6 wires or Quicksolder (No wires Required)!
    • Compatible with all the WII Console Versions/Drive currently available
    • Full D2B Drive Support
    • Built-in audio fix
    • Full support for DVD-R/DVD+R and DVD+RW/DVD-RW without Booktype
    • Supports Multi-Disc/Multigames games for BOTH Wii and Gamecube
    • Recovery Mode for incomplete/Bad Upgrades
    • Stealth mode
    • Firmware fully Upgradable by DVD!

Quality/Usability : I was able to get my hands on another North American Wii (NTSC-US). This new Wii has the newer board (D2B). All games tested during this review, we own the original games. WiiD comes in a plain unbranded ESD bag.

When I first heard that a WiiD modchip would be released for the Nintendo Wii, first thing that popped into my head was that it was a joke, a gimmick. Sure enough, its real and legit. The WiiD Modchip comes in a plain ESD bag but does not provide any protection during shipping (unless retailer protects it). Like all of other modchips, no wires were provided but thanks to Mod-Chip, they included wires (other resellers may not include wires). The WiiD is basically a chip on a small PCB board. The solder pads allows you to either quick soldering or wire installation. Wire installation is the best way to go because if for whatever reason you need to remove it, it is a lot easier and cleaner.

The features offered on the WiiD is what you would find on other modchips such as CycloWiz, WiiKey, Wiinja and open source modchips. The PCB board on the WiiD contains a PIC #12F683. The build of the WiiD modchip itself isnt the highest of quality due to the roughness of the cut of the PCB board but the board itself is thick and the solder points are big enough as well.

Unlike the other Wii modchips that allows quicksolder, the quicksolder pads are located on the front of the PCB board rather than on the inside. But as I said above, its best to use wires because its easier to install, safer, reliable and easier to remove when needed. Plus if you want to switch to a different modchip, all you would have to do is desolder the wires from the old modchip and resolder the wires onto the new modchip.

Installation : Before installing the WiiD, you must have at least some experience with soldering. As for me, I dont have any experience with soldering, so I had a friend install this for me. In order to install the CycloWiz onto your Wii, you must take it apart. Here is a tutorial on how to dismantle/disassemble your Wii. You can also find other tutorials or even videos on the web.

Once you have dismantled the Wii, you must locate the points outlined in their installation manual. These points are where you will connect the soldering between the Wii and the WiID. When soldering, you must remember to stay within the points and not to use too much solder or you may risk shorting out the chip as well as the Wii.

Wii Compatibility : Having tested only a handful of games I own such as Rayman, Wii Play, WarioWare and Legend of Zelda, I did not experience any problems. All games have been tested on DVD-R and DVD+R and worked perfectly without lag, slowdowns or any problems for that matter.

Upgrade Firmware : The WiiD modchip allows you to upgrade its firmware via DVD. In order to upgrade the firmware, you must first download the latest firmware and burn it on to a DVD. Pop in the DVD and the upgrade will begin. Unfortunately, once the upgrade is completed, there will be no screen saying that the upgrade is successful. Instead, you'll get a message saying "Unable to Read the Disc". Dont be alarmed, this is normal.

Conclusion : Overall, the WiiD Modchip worked as advertised. The main drawback is the quicksolder pads only being on the front of the PCB board and not on the inside. All games tested on the Wii with the WiiD installed worked perfectly without any problems. Hopefully, in future releases, the WiiD Team will improve the upgrade feature and the way the firmware is upgraded. WiiD also allowed you to solder a 6th wire that allows you to disable the modchip. This was not done as it wasnt really required.

Please note that none of the "upgrade" products listed in this site are endorsed by Nintendo, Sony and/or Microsoft. DCEmu Reviews and DCEmu Network does not condone piracy. The primary functions of a "modchip" and/or "flashcart" are to allow you to play imported games and homebrew software that you legally own or simply just for experimenting with hardware. We in no way endorse piracy, and encourage all users to do the right thing and support the developers/manufacturers that support them. We do not take any responsibilities for any use outside of these parameters or where the use of such a device is illegal.

Images via comments
    Last edited by bandit; March 19th, 2008 at 03:22.
    Follow us (1KIND Photography): Website | YouTube | Facebook | Twitter
    Follow Us (DCEmu Reviews): YouTube | Facebook | Twitter

Thread Information