Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bill Gates Denies Wii's Existence

Rev Bill Gates Denies Wii's Existence

news via nintendojo

Bill Gates apparently thinks that Wii is the future of computer hardware and software. But not in so many words.

Speaking with Apple CEO Steve Jobs at the D5 conference, the Microsoft founder described what he saw as the future of input devices for PCs and other electronic media: "And as we get natural input, that will cause a change. … Software is doing vision and so, you know, imagine a game machine where you’re just going to pick up the bat and swing it or the tennis racket and swing it."

To which the moderators replied, "We have one of those," and referred to Wii by name.

Gates, however, insisted that Nintendo's console was not what he was talking about, saying, "No, that’s not it. You can’t pick up your tennis racket. And swing it."

It's possible that those who've played Wii Tennis might think otherwise, however.

Feedback via comment

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowblind View Post
    The title of the thread and the first line of the thread don't seem to agree with each other. He thinks its the future of computer tech, but he doesn't think it exists?
    He thinks it's the future: It's a games device that allows you control the swinging of the bat by "swinging it"...

Which sounds an awful lot like the Wii (I think)...

But he denies it. In other words he denies it's inspired by or works like the Wii.

Maybe it's the sixaxis?

DCEmu Newbie

Um, even from that small summary I can understand what he meant. He wasn't talking about a motion-sensing controller. He's thinking something more along the lines of the EyeToy on the PS2. Re-read what he said: "imagine a game machine where you’re just going to pick up the bat and swing it". As in an actual bat, not a controller. So the machine will "see" you with some kind of camera and the software will interpret the motion.

He's not "denying the Wii exists", he's seriously talking about an entirely different method of control. Of course, real bats would break even more TVs than Wii-motes, so I sort of hope things don't go in that direction...

you know why he denies the wii right? Cuz when micro come out with an os the looks alot like the wii's os(after vienna that is) he can say that he has never heard of the Nintendo Wii.( Yeah Im being dumb)

Quote Originally Posted by MagicCake View Post
    Um, even from that small summary I can understand what he meant. He wasn't talking about a motion-sensing controller. He's thinking something more along the lines of the EyeToy on the PS2. Re-read what he said: "imagine a game machine where you’re just going to pick up the bat and swing it". As in an actual bat, not a controller. So the machine will "see" you with some kind of camera and the software will interpret the motion.

He's not "denying the Wii exists", he's seriously talking about an entirely different method of control. Of course, real bats would break even more TVs than Wii-motes, so I sort of hope things don't go in that direction...
    exactly. this isnt anything close to the Wii because camera software has done it for years [eyetoy mostly]
    but it woul require markers or colour coding for the camera to take in the information, which the eyetoy games did well on the ps2...

Blog Entries

pick up a real bat to play baseball on a game? hmm why do i have a feeling that will be disastrous?

EDIT: how is this nothing like the wii? its motion sensing achieved in a different manner.

if i kill someone with a gun and another guy kills a guy with a knife is that different? no its both murder. its just achieved in different ways.

MS is ripping off ninty just like sony has.

If that was the case then whats to stop anyone from going OUTSIDE and playing baseball???

Quote Originally Posted by theICE_MAN View Post
    pick up a real bat to play baseball on a game? hmm why do i have a feeling that will be disastrous?

EDIT: how is this nothing like the wii? its motion sensing achieved in a different manner.

if i kill someone with a gun and another guy kills a guy with a knife is that different? no its both murder. its just achieved in different ways.

MS is ripping off ninty just like sony has.
    i agree, naughty microsoft copying nintendos camera...

and i consider murder by bullet or knife vastly different.

more to the point, nintendo invented motion control...no nintendo created motion...stop copying±!±!

All Hail The D-pad!!!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information