Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: PSP-290 GPS receiver tips and tricks

Default PSP-290 GPS receiver tips and tricks

Here is a bunch of tricks and tips to get the most our of your PSP-290 unit:

DIGG THIS

1) Lower the CPU/board frequency. As any electronic device PSP emmits some EM frequencies, that seems to interfere with PSP-290 operation. So lowering the CPU frequency results in generating less EM radiation and therefore slightly better performance of the GPS unit.

2) Use a DYI cable to distance the unit from PSP.
    Following mini-B usb extension cable can be tweaked to do this job: http://pc-mobile.net/cmue.jpg
    One still needs to pull an extra wire to connect the power port to the left of the USB socket with left power pin on the GPS receiver.
    Following thread has more details on the hookup with some photos: http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=62604

Following images "document" my performance testing of the cable. You can see that moving away the GPS unit "adds" 1-2 signal bars:
    http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk/images/psp290/1.JPG
    http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk/images/psp290/2.JPG
    http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk/images/psp290/3.JPG
    http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk/images/psp290/4.JPG

3) Some people reported better GPS performance after shielding the back and top of their PSPs with metal cover or aluminum foil.

4) Charging battery. Having a full charge seems to make a small difference, according to some reports.

5) Changing PSP or/and PSP-290. It seems that different PSP batches have different EM noise levels. Japanese PSPs seem to do slightly better than others. Also, from my tests, out of 2 PSP-290 units that I own, 1 always seem to do better in terms of sensitivity and presision. So exchanging the unit may help a bit too...

6) Passive cellphone booster stickers - although this does not sit well with the stuff I learned from college physics, some folks tend to believe that sticking one of those stickers on the unit's buttom seem to improve the reception. Feel free to try this theory, if you can get one of those stickers cheap or for free. If not, sticking some aluminum foil to the back of the unit would probably make the same effect (if any at all)

7) Upgrading firmware - This in theory may help a bit, but... SCE has fixed most of the GPS module bugs somethere around FW 3.03, so upgrading to higher firmware probably would not noticably improve the performance.

Blog Entries

awesome post Deniska, ill move this to your news so that everyone can see this great tips

DCEmu Newbie

with that diy cable and a 4 gb memstick u have like one of the best spycams in the world

and chotto shot of course

DCEmu Newbie

Hi prexcellent program:thumbup:
    Can someone tale me how to put UK postcodes and how to enter it in address locastor

cool even though i have no idea what dis does

Kool^ me too, but nice work Deniska! :thumbup:

I notice that the gps-290 has been available for some time in Spain. Why them and not the rest of Europe?

Anyone know if they will sell to the UK?
    I've sent Divineo Spain an email but no reply yet.

cool - I wonder though - if I were to make a "permanent" GPS install for truck - if direct sun light on the gps-290 would damage it?
    Or would it be (just as) good if not in direct sunlight and hidden, say near rear-view mirror, just as long as it is away from unit?

Is cable length an issue?
    is there an optimum length, like 1 meter? or something not to be exceeded?

reasons:
    A) I dont like PSP sitting in open when parked - usually disconnect it and shut down and tuck away
    B) the less "spaghetti" I have on truck console - the less inviting it is to thieves

question:
    What was average time to get fixed? Trip time in pictures shows 18 minutes. I know it doest take that long...did it?

You rule man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    /|\

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by atari800 View Post
    cool - I wonder though - if I were to make a "permanent" GPS install for truck - if direct sun light on the gps-290 would damage it?
    Or would it be (just as) good if not in direct sunlight and hidden, say near rear-view mirror, just as long as it is away from unit?

Is cable length an issue?
    is there an optimum length, like 1 meter? or something not to be exceeded?

reasons:
    A) I dont like PSP sitting in open when parked - usually disconnect it and shut down and tuck away
    B) the less "spaghetti" I have on truck console - the less inviting it is to thieves

question:
    What was average time to get fixed? Trip time in pictures shows 18 minutes. I know it doest take that long...did it?

You rule man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    /|\
    You would be better off getting a holux instead for PSP-290 for what you want to do.

DCEmu Newbie

hi there ,
    i am totaly new on this website and i want to know if some one can help me with the gps suytem. i have 290 psp gps reciver wich i bought from playasia.com website.but i dont have navigation software to use with gps for psp ,could some body please help me out or tell me how i can create a navigation software for psp.i live in canada so i need software for canada.I will be thank ful to every body who can help me with this situation.please explain in detail how to create it or use it,thank you,hope to hear from some one soon.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information