Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: RUMOR: PSP SLIM details revealed!!

DCEmu Newbie

Default RUMOR: PSP SLIM details revealed!!

Back in March, we brought word of a new and improved PlayStation Portable. But what good are the rumblings of new hardware without some of the details? Today, thanks to several sources close to Sony, we bring you that nitty gritty as the redesigned Playstation Portable nears completion.

Keep in mind this isn't Playstation Portable 2, but rather a redesign of the original, so it will be sporting the same internal hardware. But that's about the only thing that hasn't changed. The new Playstation Portable will have a much slimmer design, thanks mostly to a new LED screen that will deliver an ultra-crisp image but take up far less space. That LED also helps pump up the battery life of this sexy new model, which can last as much as four times longer than the original PSP. While the new PSP still makes use of the UMD drive, it will be a faster version and to help speed up loadtimes and gameplay, the portable will come packed with 8GBs of internal flash memory. Finally, the PSP's much maligned buttons have been revamped and the D-Pad has gotten a major overhaul, giving portable gamers something more like a Playstation 3 D-pad to play with.

The company is still trying to decide whether or not they want to include a built-in camera, as they weigh whether the cost of adding the device will be worth the benefit to gamers. Our money is on no camera because of the competitive price issues. Those of you holding out for a touchscreen are, unfortunately, going to have to wait, though word has it that it will most like make an appearance in Sony's next portable gaming device. While the new PSP will remain black, Sony is still trying to decide whether it will have a glossy or matte finish.

The final price for this new PSP hasn't been set, but Sony is hoping to sell it for under $170 or so. Manufacturing should commence in the upcoming weeks, and the product is going to be officially unveiled at this year's E3. The sale date being tossed around is August, but don't be surprised if it's pushed back to September. What's this reworked PSP called? It doesn't have a name as of yet, but may we suggest "PSP Slim"?

Sony Computer Entertainment of America declined to comment on "rumor or speculation."

link

Good im gonna need a new one since my brother stole my 3.40 OE-A PSP and my Nintendo DS with all my games. the slim one sounds really cool

sweet, 8GB internal flash memory? holy shizat....
    i cant wait to see this... and to have homebrew on this

DCEmu Newbie

If this turns out to be true, I bet the internal flash memory will mean they get rid of the Memory Stick slot.

DCEmu Newbie

There is no new psp, and their never will be.

DCEmu Old Pro The_Ultimate_Eggman's Avatar

***YAWN*** not again.......

Sony would never put 8gbs of flash memory in it if this is true... they will stick with memory sticks cause thats the only way they are going to get extra revenue.

DCEmu Rookie

Seems like SONY was actually listening to gamers' complaints when deciding how to redesign the PSP, I will be lookingf orward to eventually trying it when it is available. I will actually get one of these slimmer PSPs when I can run custom firmware and at least most homebrew programs on them. (I do not want to give up PSP Radio or the ability to play my LEGALLY purchased PSX games while on the go)

I have a feeling if this is true it will be in the price range of $400 - 500.

O_O...
    I would have to sell both my current Psp's and my Ipod Nano to be able to afford this.

DCEmu Newbie

Next psp will have touchscreen? Blantant attempt to copy the DS if it is true. I hate sony stealing Nintendo's ideas. Why cant they think of something by themselves for a change.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information