Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Power Problem?

DCEmu Newbie

Default Power Problem?

I bought it used and i have had for about 9 months now and it has always worked fine.Today it shut off on me, i turned it back on without a disc in it and it stayed on, but when i put a disc it, it starts to spin then shuts off.If anybody know whats wrong with it please help.

Sounds like a problem with the PSU, have you tried cleaning the six pins that connect the power board to the main board? obviously don't do this while its turned on

Its very likely its that, as it happens to alot of DC's, just make sure theres a good connection between the pins and the PSU.

DCEmu Newbie

I tried it and it still turns off when the disc tries to play. Thanks though.

Try this it should work for ya. http://www94.pair.com/jsoper/dc_fix.html

DCEmu Newbie

I tried this already.The problem I am having is that i turn it on without a disc in it, and it will stay on,but when I place a disc in and it begins to spin ,it shuts off.Only in the instance of it having to spin the disc it shuts off completely(not back to the menu).Thanks for the help though.

Could be a faulty spindle motor, someone on dcemulation.com had this problem, it's rare but can cause the DC to reset when it cant read the disc.

Test the spindle motor (motor that makes the disc spin) just remove it from the GD-ROM assembly and test it with some batteries, make sure it can spin both ways and does not make a grinding noise.
    This is unlikely to be the problem but has happened to people in the past.

Do you have access to another DC? if so you can swap the GD rom assembly to see if the problem persists, if it does its the PSU if not then its the GD-ROM, this will narrow down the possibilities of what the problem is.

that is a weird problem, well good luck i hope you fix it i have had to problem of this sort yet sorry.

DCEmu Newbie

Good news. I found out whats wrong with my DC, bad news its extremely hard to repair it seems the GD-ROM controller board blew a capacitor. when the DC detects a blown capacitor, the safety mechanism automatically shuts off the DC.
    Unfornuately, there is no way to fix this. unless I can find the same exact capacitor, remove the blown one, and solder in the new one. Thanks everyone that help it was really appreciated.

What does the capacitor look like, and where is it located? Maybe even a picture, so it can help others with the same problem.

DCEmu Newbie

Thats the thing someone told me this at DCforums and I have no clue where the capacitor is located or even what kind it is.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information