Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Wii is as powerful as original Xbox," says FIFA producer

Blog Entries

Rev "Wii is as powerful as original Xbox," says FIFA producer

via gibiz

FIFA producer Tim Tschirner has said that he believes the Nintendo Wii matches up to the first Xbox in terms of power.

Tschirner's comments came in an exclusive interview with GamesIndustry.biz's sister site, Eurogamer.net

"It's about as powerful as the original Xbox," he said. "The video hardware unfortunately is not as powerful. There's just a couple of key things that you can do on Xbox like shaders which you just cannot do on the Wii... Overall though it's pretty much what the original Xbox was."

Tschirner went on to observe that he has found the Wii "very straightforward to write code for", adding, "I think from a creative point of view it's been awesome working on this platform because there's obviously stuff we couldn't do before."

He also praised Nintendo for attempting to broaden the market with the Wii by appealing to people who don't normally play games.

"That's a bit of a philosophy that we wanted to get into this game as well - that people don't have to be afraid of finding the control scheme overwhelming or overly demanding," Tschirner explained.

"And then on the flip-side, we wanted to make sure that long-term FIFA players would find everything they love in the game still in place."

Heh thats funny 128-bit console is better then a 256-bit one hardware wise.

Default Seventh Generation really 256-bit?

I thought your post was interesting as I really didn't know if the Wii was 128 or 256-bit... nor could I find it anywhere. Then I found this on Wiki:

I think the bit classification of video game systems starting with this generation should not be placed on here. The last video game systems classified by their companies with bits were the 128-bit Sega Dreamcast and PlayStation 2. These new seventh generation consoles (XBox 360, Playstation 3, and Nintendo Wii) don't actually contain 256-bit processors. Even the most powerful consumer home PC computer systems either contain 32-bit or 64-bit processors.--Mark Nguyen 15:48, 12 July 2006 (UTC)

I just noticed Lumina83's edit, which I agree with. I think the "bit values" were valid ways of differentiating between console generations, despite their abuse (the N64 wasn't strictly a 64-bit computer, I think the value came from adding the word-length of the various different processing units in the machine). However, I don't recall the term "128-bit" being used very much outside of Gamecube/Dreamcast prototype discussion, and virtually never saw "256-bit", so I think both terms are superfluous. --Revlob 14:10, 13 July 2006 (UTC)

You are correct... I should've also mentioned that in my last edit.--Mark Nguyen 14:19, 13 July 2006 (UTC)

Yeah, there is no such thing as a 256-bit processing unit (other than a general idea or hypothetical design). Stick with generations, because processor bits are becoming more level and are staying the same, essentially. --CanesOL79 21:38, 16 July 2006 (UTC)

I think consoles can also be classified according to the word length of th GPU,not only by CPU.

Remember TurboGrafx 16 had an 8-bit CPU,but 16-bit GPU. Today's 7-th gen consoles are all 256-bit,according to the the GPU wordlengths. But,then you have the XBOX with its' 32-bit CPU and 256-bit GPU

They are classifed under terms to show when they came out.

DCEmu Newbie

yay?
    I was under the impression that Gamecube could do shaders... now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure that Dewy's Adventure uses both shaders and normal maps... Perhaps it's simply difficult to do shaders? perhaps they have to be processed by the CPU as opposed to the GPU?

Spoiler!

DCEmu Rookie

If it's not as powerful, then why does it cost that little bit more? :P

^^^new idea and motion sensitive...lol

And who cares? It's selling more than the untalented PlayStation 3

Blog Entries

there are several things the wii does better than the xbox. theres a several it cant do as good. who cares? its fun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information