Thread: Review: HDfury DVI/HDMI to RGB Converter

Reviews Webmaster/Reviewer bandit's Avatar

Reviews Review: HDfury DVI/HDMI to RGB Converter

HDfury DVI/HDMI to RGB Converter
    Manufacturer: HDfury
    Site: Buy from HKmod / Buy from Divineo US / Buy from Divineo China
    Price: $129.99-$150.95

Overview : The HDfury is a revolutionary product that allows you to use the full resolution (up to 1080p) of any DVI/HDMI device on a CRT projector, PC monitor, older HDTV/Plasma TV, or any other device without a DVI/HDMI input! If you own a high quality projector/monitor/TV that does not have a DVI/HDMI connector you need this device! Why buy a new expensive display device when your existing one can already support high definition?

HDfury module will transform any "technically able" ANALOG display into a DIGITAL display performing a perfect visual HD & Full HD fury @ 720p/1080p from any HDMI/HDCP sources such as HD-DVD/Blu-Ray players, PS3, X360 Elite, Satellite/Cable HDTV set-top boxes, HTPCs with HDMI graphic cards, to name a few! Simply plug the HDfury into your projector, your DVI/HDMI device into the HDfury, and watch! Installation takes seconds.

The HDfury delivers a razor sharp picture with absolutely NO video noise. The picture quality improvement as compared to RGBHV analog video is immediately obvious, providing an amazingly clear and detailed picture!

The HDfury is 100% HDCP compliant. It is not an 'HDCP stripper'. The HDCP copy protected digital signal is first decrypted and then the digital RGB 4:4:4 signal is converted to an analog signal.

Features
    • DVI-D 24p Female Port Input (100% digital).
    • A HDMI -> DVI-D cable can be use to connect to an HDMI source.
    • RGB 4:4:4 (8 bits) digital input (every HDMI source MUST be RGB 4:4:4 compatible).
    • Compatible with non-HDCP or HDCP sources.
    • Compatible with any RGB Display
    • Directly connect to VGA input.
    • Easy to install within a minute. (Plug & Play)
    • 10 bits 175MHz triple video DAC - Inter-DAC : 2%
    • RGB-H/V Male Port D-SUB 15 Output video analog signals (0,7Vpp over 75 ohms impedance)
    • Ultra short Analog links (<1 cm) on the HD fury RGB 1080p for optimal quality.
    • DVI video bandwidth in VGA/RGB outputs: 25-165MHz
    • DVI Data Rate - Bandwidth 1.65 Gbps (Single link)
    • Maximum resolutions: UWXGA (1920x1200) at 60Hz or SXGA (1280x1024) at 85Hz
    • Computer compatible (PC, Mac)
    • HDTV ready (480p/576p/720p/1080i/1080p48/50/60 compatible)
    • DVI1.0 compliant / HDMI interoperable and HDCP ready
    • HD-DVD and Blu-Ray Disc players compatible
    • Playstation3 and X360 Elite compatible
    • SAT and CABLE setbox for HDTV channels compatible
    • HDCP compatible with embedded keys loaded.
    • Energy management : DVI et VESA DPMS compatible.
    • Ultra low power consumption in Standby (3,5mA)
    • Maximum power : 0.4A under 5V (at 165MHz pixel clock)
    • On-board DC/DC converter (5V) with extra-low EMI signature
    • Power +5V from DVI/HDMI
    • Blue LED to display active digital link.
    • Safe cost solution – Single IC solution + external eeprom
    • Small size : 75x56mm black cabinet
    • Installation: the RGB 1080p module is DIRECTLY screwed to the back of the display (where VGA SUB-D plugs stand).
    • Shortest RGB analog video link as possible
    • HDCP rules compliant: no end-user access to decrypted analog video. Once screwed, this module becomes "a part of the display itself".
    • Professional factory made (mass-production) using pick/place and reflow/wave solder pro. equipment.
    • Gold Plated connectors, tracks and material
    • Warranty: One year warranty
    INPUT
    1080p FULL HD COMPATIBLE
    • Blu-Ray / HD-DVD Player
    • Playstation 3, X360 Elite
    • PC HDMI Graphics Card
    • SAT & Cable HDTV Box
    • Any DVI or HDMI source
    OUTPUT
    Display a 1080p visual fury
    • PC monitor (CRT, tubes, LCD)
    • HDTV, Plasma, LCD
    • LCD, DLP, SXRD, D-ILA proj.
    • 3 tubes proj Barco, Nec, ..
    • Any RGB, VGA, YUV Display
    Quality/Usability : HDfury allows you to display HD quality @ 720p/1080p from any HDMI/HDCP sources such as SAT & Cable HDTV setbox, Xbox360 Elite, PlayStation 3, HDMI graphic card, etc. on a analog display such as TV, PC monitor, projector, etc. Yes, thats right. HD visuals on non-HD displays!

HDfury imitates itself to be a HDCP-supporting receiver, that outputs DRM-stripped analog RGB content at the same resolution and aspect ratio as if output in digital form. The HDfury is encased in a black case with a gold plate on the front that says 1080p. On the gold plate is a window and that shows a Silicon Image chip. I presume this is where all the magic happens. Sorry, but I'm not a HT expert.

The review sample that we received only came in a clear plastic packaging with HDfury, and extended VGA cable (if there is not enough space to connect HDfury). The final packaging will include a manual. Since the HDfury is a DVI to VGA adapter, you will need a HDMI to DVI adapter or cable to connect to the HDfury.

Using the HDfury, I was able to play the PlayStation 3 and Xbox360 via HDMI to DVI-D cable to my monitor. Display was converted to 1280x1024 pixels. The visual was clean and crisp both on the PlayStation 3 and Xbox360 Elite. 1080p on the PlayStation 3 is only available in HDMI mode and when I turned on the PlayStation 3, it booted up fine. I went into the settings to confirm and indeed it was set to 1080p and the screen was displaying what was playing in the PlayStation 3. If there was ever a need to update HDfury, the eprom could be reflashed externally by dealers and manufacturer.

Here is a video of HDfury in action with the PlayStation 3:

Conclusion : Overall, the HDfury HDMI/DVI to RGB Converter is a sweet unique product. I no longer have to fight with the gf to see who gets to use the HDTV or be confined to it. I can now use my PC monitor to play my PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360 Elite with HD quality visuals You'll have to supply your own HDMI to DVI-D cable, DVI/HDMI adapters or DVI to DVI cable, depending whether or not you have the cables needed already. If not, you'll have to purchase one which usually costs about $7-13 for the cable and about $5 for the adapter. The price of the HDfury is a pricey. Price can range from $129.99 to $150.95 but it is well worth it for those looking to play their HD products without the need of a HDTV.

*UPDATE*
    I was informed the following from the Project Manager:

You should always use HDMI > DVI-D CABLE (without adapter)
    In fact cable and adapter can work just fine, but for example if you have HD-DVD player problem and call toshiba, first thing they gonna told you is : REMOVE ANY ADAPTER
    It's a known case of problem, it could work fine with many devices expect some who will need HDMI > DVI-D cable straight.

The above review is based on the BLUE version which includes HD15 VGA extender cable and tested on a Dell 2405FPW. For those who are Home Theater fiends/exotics/pros/etc., there is also a RED version which includes a Barco Port 3 Cable and a GREEN version which includes a 5-BNC breakout cable. Both of which is not available as the time of this review but they should be available late June/early July. The look and color of the HDfury will still be the same just the packaging will be in its respective color and cable.

Images via comments. Images of monitor screenshots are from MyAV (Chinese).
    Last edited by bandit; January 4th, 2011 at 01:27.
    Follow us (1KIND Photography): Website | YouTube | Facebook | Twitter
    Follow Us (DCEmu Reviews): YouTube | Facebook | Twitter

DCEmu Newbie

Default DVI-D possible or not?

Hi
    Just wondering, you said that you were able to use a hdmi to DVI-D cable to connect to a monitor?
    - I have a "older" Beovision 6 with only DVI-D (no HDCP) and i would like to be able to use that with my AppleTV G1, but rented movies is not possible due to HDCP is missing..
    The HDFury is it not only with a VGA output, does it also come with a DVI-D output. How did you get it to work with DVI-D ... please x1000 help :-)

br Kenneth

Thread Information