Thread: Sega exec clarifies 'Wii will look dated' comments

Rev Sega exec clarifies 'Wii will look dated' comments

via Games Industry

Sega's Scott Steinberg has reaffirmed the publisher's ongoing support for Nintendo after suggesting the Wii may look "dated" in the next few years.

As reported last week, Steinberg told Reuters he was "concerned" about the "creative depth of the Wii pool", and about how the machine would match up once developers start exploiting the full power of PS3 and Xbox 360.

He has since released an additional statement to Reuters confirming that Sega is committed to Wii - and calling on the entire industry to produce new innovations.

"Sega has fully supported the Wii since day one and we continue to do so - it’s no secret that we are close partners. Nintendo has done a masterful job of selling its vision and expanding the market," Steinberg said.

"That said, it’s a shared responsibility and opportunity for the whole industry to take advantage of the possibilities of the Wii. If we don’t realise its true potential, we will have missed a great opportunity to expand creatively and that is what I was cautioning against in the Reuters interview."

According to Steinberg, producing new innovations is not a duty which only rests on Nintendo's shoulders. "It’s on Sega and all the publishers and developers as well to carry that flag," he concluded.

i think the wii will have a shorter lifespan than the xbox 360 or the ps3 though because nintendo make money on every console while microsoft and sony dont so i would expect a new more powerful wii within the next 3-4 years unlike the ps3's 10 year scheme

I agree with mcdougal

The wii will have a shorter life span, its technically not considered as a "next gen system", the whole Wii 2 rumor thats going around seems more reliable than Wii's future.

Nintendo and Sega together, ( sobs ) my 2 fave companies showing there love for one another OHHH YEAAA SONY and MS watch out

Thread Information