Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Uploaded Maps

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by deniska View Post
    It is not a good idea!
    It's been covered in the forums already..

Distributing Google's map data goes against their term or use agreement. Therefore sharing/referencing maps in this forums may get us all in trouble..

DCEmu Regular

Hmm ok. I don't get it. Then GMDL must also be illegal, because you can save copies of Googles ownership to your pc. Which they don't like i think.

DCEmu Pro

There's a rather big difference between automatically downloading (your browser also "automatically downloads" all those images) and then redistributing that data to others.

Besides, even if downloading all those images were illegal, would then only the act itself be illegal, or also the entire program?

I don't see any problems with GMDL

DCEmu Regular

GMDL is very different from redistributing downloaded maps from non-distributable sources (I am not your lawyer, and most certainly know nothing about the legal system in your jurisdiction). GMDL is in essence like Wget, and it's functionality can be replicated by going to an online mapping site in Firefox (for example maps.google.com ) selecting Tools > Page Info > Media then selecting map tiles and clicking Save As... while GPSFS is a file system - no different from storing your tiles in FAT32.

It is also important to note that Microsoft seems to allow downloading their map tiles in their terms and conditions (this has been posted about before) while Google seems to ignore the likes of Google Maps Images Downloader which is closed source and being charged for, while also being hosted and advertised by ZDNet.co.uk (CNET). Having apparently changed their attitude from 2005 when their technical, rather than legal, department sent out a load of takedown letters. And that GMDL supports distributable sources such as openstreetmap.org, USGS, NASA, Toporama, etc. as well as personal use, such as WMS sources.

I feel that this distinction is very important, and that the nature of the web is such that if an URL is freely accessible, the user is free to save it (either via File > Save As..., automatically in their browser cache, or by other means), there are also well established methods to prevent the type of access GMDL performs (see .htaccess for hotlinking, Session-IDs, etc.).

What is also very important to note, is that the various terms and conditions apply to you, in your jurisdiction, when you run GMDL, in the same way that whatever you do in Firefox or IE is your responsibility.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information