Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manhunt 2 receives AO rating

Default Manhunt 2 receives AO rating

Earlier today, the British Board of Film Classification gave Manhunt 2 a thumbs down, banning it from sale in the UK due to its "unremitting bleakness" and "casual sadism." Now it appears the Entertainment Software Rating Board is ready to hand down its own most restrictive rating to the latest controversial offering from Take-Two Interactive and Rockstar Games.

A Take-Two representative told GameSpot today that the ESRB has issued an initial rating of AO for Adults Only to Manhunt 2. While not an outright ban, the rating would severely limit a game's sales potential, as most major American retailers have chosen not to carry games rated AO.

As for the reason this is only an "initial" rating, when the ESRB rates a game, it notifies the publisher 30 days prior to publicly releasing its decision. This gives publishers unhappy with ratings the chance to either modify their games and resubmit them for a second assessment, or go before the ESRB's appeals board to challenge it directly.

"We believe the process of rating video games is to help people make informed entertainment choices and not to limit them," a Take-Two representative said. "Manhunt 2 was created for mature audiences and we strongly believe it should receive an M (Mature) rating, aligning it with similar content created in other forms of media. We are exploring our options with regard to the rating of Manhunt 2."

While Take-Two doesn't agree with the idea of an AO-rated Manhunt 2, one parent watchdog group believes it's only appropriate. Earlier today, Campaign for a Commercial-Free Childhood demanded that the ESRB give Manhunt 2 an AO rating, saying that "harmful effects of ultra-violent video games on children will be magnified by playing them on the interactive Nintendo Wii system."

The group's announcement contained a statement from Dr. Michael Rich, director of the Center on Media and Child Health at Children's Hospital Boston, who explained, "The content of Manhunt 2 and the unique physical interaction with the Wii control combine to take [the game's simulation] a level closer to reality--we can expect that the effects of this experience will be even greater."

The group directed like-minded individuals to contact ESRB president Patricia Vance with their concerns, and Vance today issued her response.

"We have received the letter from CCFC and, while we might take issue with some of the statements made within, we sincerely appreciate their expressed concerns," Vance said. "Our ratings are intended to provide guidance that allows parents to choose games they deem suitable for their children, and that is a responsibility we take extremely seriously."

Manhunt 2 is currently slated for a July 10 release on the PlayStation 2, PlayStation Portable, and Wii. For more on the game, check out GameSpot's previous coverage.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6172743...ewstop;title;1

wow, well this was unexpected, could this game be known as Wii and PSP's first rated AO game lol

but I wonder what Rockstar's "options" are on regarding this rating.

i hope they dont cut out the good stuff to bring the rating down, gore ect. and ao seems a bit harsh and also ive never seen an ao rated game either

First next gen game with an AO rating is on Wii? Who would have thought. Anyways, I'll certainly be following this story over the coming weeks. I believe the game should simply be M. It's up to parents to decide what their kids can play. By not allowing the game at stores, it will make it more difficult to obtain(anyone know where we could get it now?). This will of course hurt R*s sales. I'm just hoping that doesn't cause them to overly censor the game now.
    PSP Firmware 3.40 OE-A
    Former PSP Dev
    Wii Owner
    DS Lite Owner + R4 = Sweetness

DCEmu Regular

well if its only getting an AO rating its good for me cause am an adult but while i was watching sky news at 12:00 today they were talking about the ban of manhunt 2 and also Law and Order 2 ouble of Nothing which they want to try and ban next cause of certain so called sensitive CCTV footage in the game.
    A well i can just get the psp version of Manhunt 2.

Well the ban is across the European region.
    The AO rating is in America. The ESRB wouldn't ever ban a game, but AO is pretty much suicide for a game over here, since no major retailers will carry it.
    PSP Firmware 3.40 OE-A
    Former PSP Dev
    Wii Owner

Quote Originally Posted by TeamOverload View Post
    Well the ban is across the European region.
    The AO rating is in America. The ESRB wouldn't ever ban a game, but AO is pretty much suicide for a game over here, since no major retailers will carry it.
    Blockbuster/Rogers Video still carry GTA San Andreas which later on got an AO rating (because of Hot Coffee incident)

And the reason most of you havent seen an AO game is the fact that there are only 23 (now 24) AO rated games, most of them for PC and Mac

True, but I'm not too sure if Blockbuster will be carrying this game. We can wait and see but I'm skeptical. I know there are few rated AO games and you won't be seeing them around, since Best Buy, Walmart, Target, etc. refuse to carry them.
    PSP Firmware 3.40 OE-A
    Former PSP Dev
    Wii Owner

I wonder if Frys will carry it lol

Why don't they just make the blood green, like everyone else used to?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information