Thread: Mortal Kombat Fails Wii Test

Default Mortal Kombat Fails Wii Test

There's nothing wrong with making an infamously violent fighting series such as "Mortal Kombat" available on the family-friendly Wii console. Ultimately, the Wii could be the best machine yet for appealing to all types of gamers, including players who like the blood-and-guts genres.

But there is a huge problem with making a Wii-enhanced version of a game -- in this case, Midway's just-released update of "Mortal Kombat: Armageddon" -- that doesn't work well enough to justify spending five cents on it or five minutes with it.

The remote-activated motion controls are a mess. Simple gestures, such as making a half-circle motion with the main Wii remote, are supposed to initiate characters' "super moves" (a flying bicycle kick, for instance). But the gestures only register some of the time, or register as a different move than was intended. You can't engage in a fight with any confidence of being able to attack effectively, so what's the point of playing?

You also can use a GameCube or Wii "classic" controller, but that throws aside the basic reason for playing on the Wii.

To some extent, the motion-recognition may depend on how precisely each move is executed, explaining why the controls will seem more or less reliable to different people. But anything less than 99 percent dependability is disastrous for this type of game.
    -----------------------------
    personally im pretty dissapointed and i thought they would of brought something new and unique to the table but allas it looks like were sticking to the standard gamecube controller which as quoted throws away the basic reason for playing the wii

Interesting read! Thanks for sharing

Yeah thanks for sharing this info i was thinking about buying this game but now i will re-think my buy. Thanks for the heads up

Thumbs up MK rulez

I have to agree, when I first got this game a few weeks ago I also thought it was rubbish and turned it off after 10 mins..

however, when my friend came round later we started playing it and wow..
    once you learn the moves its a brilliant game, and I can execute them 100% of the time.

you dont need to learn lots of secret button sequences like all the past games.. (this always confused me.. lol)

all the moves are the same for all the characters so once you have mastered them, you can play with any character.

Give it an hour or so and you will be hooked. I think Ive played it around 20 hours now, mainly in 2 player with a few beers..

DCEmu Regular

Man why is this series still even being continued? I never ever liked the gameplay. The only reason it ever did well was it had blood, and digitized characters? It was more of a game I liked watching people playing rather than playing myself. Also I don't understand what they were thinking with doing this on the wii. Why would you do the same movements for a move that you would just do on a D-Pad?

Rev Great Game Just Requires Patience

Mortal Kombat on the Wii is great game, but it does require patience to master the basic super move motions. You are probably looking at an half hour or so till you can use the super moves correctly. If you like the genre, Mortal Kombat is a must have! :thumbup:
    I owned the xbox version, which was no were near as playable or fun as it is on the wii.

Thread Information