Thread: Ridiculously Priced Retro Games...

Unhappy Ridiculously Priced Retro Games...

As i was looking around eBay, i started thinking about the price of some 'rare' games, and how strange it is that alot people wan't the game purely for collections and not to actually play.

There are games i really wan't to play but cant simply because i cant afford to spend £80 on eBay for a game thats 8 years old.

Games such as Panzer Dragoon Saga, Radiant Silvergun, Samba De Amigo, and to a lesser extent Rez, Paper Mario 64, Shenmue 2 and Super Mario RPG, i really wan't but refuse to pay so much for.

And people say that i shouldnt play illegal roms, with prices like that for retro games do i really have any other choice to play such great games?

Anyone have any thought's on the money that exchanges hands for these games?

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar Darksaviour69's Avatar

Panzer Dragoon Saga: £150+
    Radiant Silvergun: £150+

Samba De Amigo: i don't thing that the game is rare, its the original marcas are very rare (£100 +) but u can get cheap 3rd party ones

Rez: about £35 2 £50 (i got a promo one for £6 on eday)

Shenmue 2: about the same (i got it when it first came out)

Paper Mario 64,Super Mario RPG? revoluation?

ptr.lynch has a point, when things cost 150 on ebay,the original company isnt getting any of that, they already got paid, and are done with it. I think roms for older systems, ones not supported buy the companies should be legal, even encouraged. I say that, because, it could make someone buy a sequal or remake for a newer system

Now with Blast Processing! Kaiser's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ya I had to get roms for all my genesis games recently. The battery packs are dead on most of them and I can't save anymore.

You guys have a point, but you're not thinking it all the way through.

True, the companies don't get any of the money from sales on Ebay. However, they will get money if they choose to re-release the game.

For instance, Nintendo doesn't get any money for the sale of Metroid or Bomberman on Ebay. However, they get plenty of money (way too much, IMHO) for those exact same games in the Gameboy NES Retro series.

In addition, quite frankly, as long as the company holds the copyright, it will never be legal to make or have roms of those games.
    DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
    DC Evolution - Disc Images
    The DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.

Blog Entries

One thing that helps this whole problem is companies releasing collections of all there old classics to the current platforms. For example Sega is soon to release a collection called Sonic Gems. The best part of this is it contains the original Sonic CD with its Japanese soundtrack (which can get really pricey on ebay for the Sega CD). This is great because thats the only game I've been missing in my sonic collection (discluding 3d ones 'cuz they all suck).

All though I've heard arguments that these packs can only emulate the original game and never capture the exact game in its originally released version.

i have a copy of sonic cd for my pc and it only cost like 5 bucks, but i guess when you add in the japanese part it gets pricey

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FrierTuck
    i have a copy of sonic cd for my pc and it only cost like 5 bucks, but i guess when you add in the japanese part it gets pricey

Ya up until that pak thats coming out thr pc version is all I can afford and its American version which has the crappy soundtrack.

Thread Information