Thread: Firmware Future

psp Firmware Future

This kind of thread has probably been started 6000 times by now but I'd still like to hear some opinions. Since D_A has left the scene permanently and therefore OE Firmwares will no longer be something we can wait, eagerly refreshing, til 2am for, I wondered what everyone's opinions were on the future of firmware development. There's no argument that D_A and his firmwares were the best thing to happen to the scene since the KXploit. So with him gone, what are we left? More importantly is there anyone to take over in his absence? Will 3.40 OE-A become the highest achievement in PSP homebrew history, or an early footnote on the road to glory?

</Dramatic Text>

Well, aside from a few PSX emulation problems I don't really see the need in changing the firmwares unless theres alot more features added. And I think it would be better to just have independant coders add features to the psp through homebrew rather than have one guy integrate it into a new custom firmware. Unless they came up with a browser with a higher memory cache and FLV support.

DCEmu Newbie

Actually I think I disagree there a little bit. I actually LIKE the idea of rolling as many features as possible into a single firmware over cramming a million little applications on my system and trying to keep them all straight. Hell I'm only working with a 2GB stick ATM and I'm already finding I've got WAAAAAAY too many icons in my games section. I think if we could put more basic functions into the firmware somehow and leave the "games" submenu for homebrew and such it would make things easier to manage.

On the other hand, if someone could manage to figure out a way to create sub-sub-menu's so that you go to games-memory stick- and have sections for games, applications, emulators, etc...that would be REALLY friggin handy!!

Thread Information