Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DS Reader

DCEmu Newbie

Default BookReader

I wonder why everyone is so keen to use both screens for book readers. Nobody can read from both screens at the same time. One Page of text would mean using a lot less battery power.

Good bookreader all the same.. Good Job!!

It does need a side ways option, I personally use http://forum.gbadev.org/viewtopic.php?t=12810 for my ebooks.

DCEmu Newbie

Default Thread from the dead...

I like eBook reading. I did a lot of it on my PSP but since getting into DS homebrew (thanks to The Phantom Hourglass) I have been experimenting with various homebrew programs including eBook readers.

spinal_cord : I have tried both DS Reader and the one you linked to. I too like the sideways "bookish" orientation of the reader in your link and I especially liked the touchscreen operation of page turning, but I think the overall GUI needs a lot of work.

On the other hand I think the GUI of DS Reader is VERY polished and I love it...however, the bookmarks don't work well, there's no sideways orientation, and no touchscreen navigation for pages.

IMO, and I don't know if the author will see this...I think that if DS Reader had the menu slide out from the left side of the screen you would be able to tap the top of the screen to go back a page, and the bottom of the screen to go forward a page. Also, this would leave it wide open for a sideways orientation option without having to change the menu or page operations, simply the text orientation as the top of the screen would then be the left and bottom the right.

I wish that DS Reader was open source because I'd even like to take a crack at changing things around a bit to play with. I think with better bookmark support and some added functions from the other reader DS Reader would be the ultimate in eBook reader homebrews.

I hate to necro an old post like this, but does anyone know of a homepage for DS Reader, or a way to contact the author? It would be nice to see further development on this, as I'd really like vertical orientation available like ReadMore or DSLibris(Neither of which run particularly well for me... ReadMore won't open anything I throw at it).

I love the ability to use TT fonts, not to mention adjust the size and the drawing method. And as Gawker stated, the GUI is so nice and slick.

Edit: And bookmarks have never really been a big deal for me, as long as it starts back at the last section I was at in the document I'm happy.

DCEmu Newbie

How do i add fonts to DS reader and what would be a good font to use?

DCEmu Newbie

where do i get books for the DS reader?

DCEmu Pro

Quote Originally Posted by bygg83 View Post
    where do i get books for the DS reader?

You can find some books in .TXT format but any .PDF file's text can be made into a .TXT file.

There is a program that converts some common ebook formats into .TXT format.

Common formats for ebooks
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...e-book_formats

Example of Program that converts
    http://www.ice-graphics.com/ICEReader/IndexE.html

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by crookedmouth View Post
    You can find some books in .TXT format but any .PDF file's text can be made into a .TXT file.

There is a program that converts some common ebook formats into .TXT format.

Common formats for ebooks
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...e-book_formats

Example of Program that converts
    http://www.ice-graphics.com/ICEReader/IndexE.html
    Thankyou, I think this is a great book reader

DCEmu Newbie

I prefer dsLibris myself, but then, now that I've managed to resurrect my TRG XTRA XTRA PRO upgraded IIIx, I'm back to using that as my primary device for reading e-texts.

Trying to read on color screen always bugged me, so even though I had other newer, color handhelds, I always ended up using the monos for reading and just preferred the Palm for that. (Also have a Franklin eBookman, Agenda VR, VTECH Helio, etc. Also had a Gemstar(Rocket) Reader which was the greatest of them all if a little large, sadly it's a bit on the dead side ATM. Need to try resurrecting that one again as my next project, since I just managed to resurrect the IIIx.)

[EDIT]
    Or even better, maybe be able to justify springing for a Kindle in the not too distant future, or maybe they'll drop the MSRP on it to a reasonable level, as I find $400 to be a bit steep for something that is really only useful for reading e-texts. Still a nice device by all accounts, and you CAN fairly easily(as I understand it) put your own texts on it unlike their original video and specs indicated, as they seemed to prefer pushing their email them the document and we'll convert it for you for a fee service...
    [/EDIT]
    Last edited by cutterjohn; March 17th, 2008 at 14:03.

DCEmu Newbie

Wow! This is such a great eBook reader.

Things I love about DSReader:

1) Black screen/white text offers great contrast and is eye-easy at night.

2) Fonts are smooth and not jagged. Also, resizeable to make the text more readable.

3) Ability to configure display to both, top, or bottom screens. (I like both as it involves less page turning. However, at night using the top only is nice as it rests on my chest.)

4) Multiple bookmarks for multiple books

5) Sideways text. At first I preferred ReadMore's "like a book" format, but I've come to like DSReader's orientation more as it results is less right-justification issues.

Now, after lavishing must deserved praise, here are some areas that I think need improvement (rank ordered from most crucial to least):

1) "Instant" bookmark (Start button?) This would make it really easy to bookmark before turning off the DS. Likewise, use the Select button for Instant load (the last save done using the Instant save).

2) Filenames of more than 5 characters

3) Fix for repeated words/phrases between screen-breaks. About 1 out of 3 page breaks has extra repeated words. More annoying than anything - you get used to it after awhile.

4) Bookmark manager would be nice. Not essential, but it would be nice to remove bookmarks for books that you are done with.

Great job on this, this is the best DS book reader I've found (comparing to ReadMore and Moonshell).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information