Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Doom DS add-ons and wads.

DCEmu Newbie

Default Doom DS add-ons and wads.

I got Doom ds working. I always solve things myself. Anyway, how and what kind of wads can I add on to make Doom a bit more.....good? Know any good site for fan made wads and stuff?

I know that somebody got Chex Quest to work on Doom DS but, I do not know if any other fan made Doom mods work on it.

It looks like it can load external files, but I've not taken time to play around with that, but yet is it based upon PrBOOM, though I think an older code source, none the less it should be compatable with most BOOM features, and therefore work with most MODS so long as they do not press the memory limit of the DS with extra sounds, graphics, and the like.

One option would be to experiment with merging Iwads into the FreeDOOM pwad and see if you can get things running that way.

Ok, I was messing around ALL day, merging pWads into the iWads with no results.

I can get my merged wads to play fine in gzDOOM, but when ever I rename them to doom.wad and try them out in DSDOOM, it acts like it's going to load, then freezes.

I really wish I knew how Chex managed to merge there new sprites and textures into the DOOM.WAD without screwing it up.

Also DSDOOM does not have virtual keyboard support so we can not load pwads via in game menu.

On the upside FreeDOOM does infact seem to work. It seems to lag here and there, but it works great!

EDIT:

I was just playing around with DOOM Builder and FreeDOOM.

What I did was download the FreeDOOM Demo iWAD.

I set DOOM Builder to use that (doom1.wad) as the main DOOM2.WAD file.

I then loaded up doom1.wad as a project, erased the 1st map, then mapped my own little demo. Saved the file, loaded up my DS, and it worked!

DCEmu Newbie

It sounds complicated....can you tell me how?

http://www.doombuilder.com/builder_download.php

I used this.

Now as far as replacing gfx goes...

...every time I try this DOOM stops booting, just the same as wad merging, so all we have so far is the ability to create new maps.

EDIT: It seems that DSDOOM does not accept ANY iWAD that has been altered using XWE. So I have began experimenting with Wintex's JOIN feature, and so far I am having no problems adding in replacement sprites, though the process is SLOW!

So now I have a self created demo level with a few original textures. Next I'm off to see if I can get new sprites, flats, sounds, musick, and Dehacked files, and I should be good to go.

From looking at Chex Quest, I can see a DEHACKED.DEH file is merged into that, so if all is well, we may have a decent First Person developement arena after all! It's just a shame that you can't really use the touch screen to control the DOOM guy. Aiming is such a pain with that directional pad. Oh well...

Got replacement sprites working...

DCEmu Newbie

So with a builder, the original doom.wads will be playable to doom ds? Earlier, I downloaded a
    doom2.wad called The Bringer of Doom. Didn't work. Is there a limit to megabytes?

No DOOm Builder is a level editor for classic DOOM as well as Enhanced DOOM source ports.

Basically what I am saying is that either the DS' resources are really touchy, or the executable is touchy, or both, as it seems like one false move, and any sort of modification to the master WAD will lock up the DS, hence making it hard to use simply programs to quickly merge map WAD files into the main WAD for play on the DS.

On the other hand if you have the patience, you can use tools such as Wintex and DeuTex, you should be able to merge a pWAD into the iWAD and get things working.

Or if you are familiar with DOOM editing, or desire to get into it, it looks like it should not be too much trouble to build upon a base iWAD from the FreeDOOM project, and create your own game...

...for which a new topic needs to be started.

DCEmu Newbie

I was thinking about merging pwads and iwads. Just by looking at your post, it seems merging them and playing off DS isn't easy. One thing before I start merging. Doom DS can play full Doom games, right? I can't get them to work.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information