Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Country Database for MapThis!

DCEmu Newbie

Exclamation Country Database for MapThis!

Hello everyone,

I've been thinking, it seems so "uneffective" that we're all making our own maps. I mean, if 5000 people who live in the same region are using MapThis!, wouldn't it be more effective if just one of them made a map and the others downloaded it, instead of all 5000 making their own map?

I've seen some people already working on this (for example the map of Singapore here on the foum).

So here's my idea; What if we made like a database with maps for MapThis! of every single country/region in the world? Everyone who wants to could help out, make a map of their country and then reformat the pictures in Photoshop or something to minimize the size of th map. This would definetly make MapThis! more user-friendly.

I could host a site with all the maps, no problem. Then when you need a map you just go to the webite and download it, free of charge of course!

Would this be a good idea? And more importantly, would I/we be breaking any copyright laws? Is it possible to do without breaking copyright laws in some way?

I'm currently making a map of the UK (even though I live in Sweden :P) to see what size I can bring it down to, as an experiment.

Let me kno what you think! :thumbup:

I'd love this too. I'm thinking of buying the GPS and know nothing about the format Map This! uses. This would make it so I never need to find out. (plus it's probably faster)

PS: I don't mean to hijack but does anyone know if I can get the GPS for less than $60 anywhere? Thanks

DCEmu Newbie

Smile

i think it illegal to share maps of google and msn...look at the terms of use in google maps and msn ve......and for the 2nd post i got the psp-290 for $48 on ebay $24 for unit $24 for shipping:thumbup: :thumbup:

Oh yeah that's right I forgot aobut eBay.

DCEmu Regular

If you will end up in jail, do this hosting. Microsoft and or Google will sue you.

BUT you also can keep it under under underground, on a FTP site for example. Maybe it will work then....

This has been covered before but.. here is why sharing the maps is not the greatest idea:
    - possible legal implications for hosting maps
    - download speed - yes, chances are that you get your customized map from google faster than you d/l map from some "private" location. Google has arrays of web servers and huge bandwidth...
    - people want to customize map to better fit their demands. This includes size on memort stick, POIs, level of detail, vendor, map type, colors e.t.c.. for example, the tool provides ~10 different maps to cover same area within US...

DCEmu Newbie

I've read up on Google Maps Terms of Service, and it seems its illegal to even use the maps in any navigation system without approval from Google and their partners, so I guess this idea won't work. Too bad though, would've made MapThis! more "open" to users with less technical skill/experience.

DCEmu Regular

You read that Deniska

It seems its illegal to even use the maps in any navigation system without approval from Google.

So we're breaking the law, boohoo, Codaz momma's boy. Deniska is a freaking legend. If it wasn't for him/her, we'd be freaking stuck waiting for years just to get a map of our home town! + EXPENSES! the way I see it, lawbreakers = awe-makers.

Whaddya say to that, 'Codaz'?

Illegal? - OK
    We could start with the open sources - like Canadian Toporama! Then we will see.
    In7ane has already done some job
    in7ane maps
    and i will be glad to contribute some of my 20hour maps!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information