Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PSP/DS Cross-Platform Gaming?

Default PSP/DS Cross-Platform Gaming?

Does anyone know of any commercial games or homebrew apps/emulators that can be played multiplayer via WiFi with one player on a PSP and the other on a DS?

I remember seeing something about a LightCycle game that was being worked on, but I was also wondering if any emulators could do the trick.

We DID try Puzzle Quest, but it did not work cross-platform.

DCEmu Newbie

OMG I was just googling that then. Saddly I found nothing but I'll be sure to check back on this thread fro any updates.

I don't think there will be cross platform games for DS and PSP. The games are totally different. It's like the Wii and PS3.

that really sucks because it would be da bomb if we can communicate PSPs with DSs. i kno there is one homebrew game that DS and PSP can play together but its something boring like tic tac toe or somehting like that

I don't think there will be cross platform games for DS and PSP. The games are totally different. It's like the Wii and PS3.
    Or like the PC, XBox 360 and the PS2? Then by your reasoning FFXI shouldn't work.

As I understand it, you simply need to have the two consoles speak the same language with each other, and that the difference is mostly in the Software. Since most DS games' WiFi tends to be coded differently from PSP WiFi, it's unlikely to happen by accident.

But what if someone were to say... make the AdHoc connection for Nester communicate the same between the DS and the PSP version? I'd think that anything like this would first come from instances where it's a port of the same emulator on both consoles.

did you not read my post? lol

that would be cool if gpsp can be ported to DS just so DS people can wait until wifi is added to the future version of GPSP. then psp and DS may be able to communicate. along with gp2x if that has wifi..

Quote Originally Posted by Tesseract View Post
    Or like the PC, XBox 360 and the PS2? Then by your reasoning FFXI shouldn't work.
    another example: Phantasy Star Universe.

But I'm talking about consoles/handhelds from the same generation.

T'be honest, I don't think there's ever been that big of a REASON for cross-platform handheld stuff befrore because there's never been much more than just Game Boy.

This is really the first generation with handhelds that are really CAPABLE of talking to each other. It's definitely worth a try, I should think.

GP2X Coder/Moderator

There is no reason why it couldn't be done, as long as the data is the same, the visual representation doesn't have to be. Although that would probably best suited for a centralised network architecture rather then an ad-hoc connection.

True... Like perhaps some sort of 'server' program that could run on a networked PC. I had thought of that, but if the server is just there to 'translate' the commands from one platform to the other, then that's something that could just be done locally, rather than involving a third machine.

Having a central 'server' would be nifty, though, for games over the net. Kinda like Kaillera or somesuch. Then gamers from all over could get together for a game of Mario Kart whether they're on a GP2x, NDS, PSP..... maybe even a PC, too! ^^

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information