Thread: Computer system requirements for DC emulation - for a mame machine

DCEmu Newbie

Default Computer system requirements for DC emulation - for a mame machine

I have a nice arcade standup mame machine that I made. The PC is currently a P4 2.8GHZ with 768MB of ram and a GEFORCE 6200 AGP video card. Up to now everything has been fine for MAME emulation and ZINC emulation...however. I really want to have dreamcast emulation now.

The processor doesnt seem up to par to running chankast (dreamcast emulation) at full speed, and I havent tested DC NULL. Chankast runs how i want it to on my other computer which is a pentium D 930.

My question is: if I am going to buy a new processor/mobo combination...what is the minimum I should buy to get perfect/near perfect emulation on most dreamcast fighting games. Is my video card up to snuff? is 768M RAM enough or should i get more? I'm looking for a cost effective solution.

Your computer specs are good. NullDC is the best Dreamcast emulator available, a lot better than Chankast.

Blog Entries

how is dc emulation on pc?

Some games run full speed while others are slow or crash. It all depends on what machine you have.

Quote Originally Posted by JKKDARK View Post
    Your computer specs are good. NullDC is the best Dreamcast emulator available, a lot better than Chankast.
    Does nulldc run better than Chankast for you? Reason I ask is because it runs worse for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark30001 View Post
    Does nulldc run better than Chankast for you? Reason I ask is because it runs worse for me.
    Yes, it runs better for me. I didn't notice graphic errors in the 30+ games I tested, and the speed was excellent.

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by JKKDARK View Post

I just tried NullDC...and the framerate is a little better...but still not PERFECT like it is on my other computer. Also..the sound was very choppy using the built-in plugin...after i changed it to the alternate sound plugin the framerates dropped again...
    However you are correct that NULLDC runs much faster than Chankast on my pentium D 930...
    I want my arcade machine to run like it does on my pentium D 935...but I'm thinking I dont need *quite* that much processing power...I want to know what the bare minimum is to get 95%+ performance out of nulldc.....p4 2.8ghz is *not* cutting it...at least with my ram...would ram fix it or is it processor? The choppy sound makes me think processor...thats always the dead giveaway in MAME emulation..

it may be the ram.

i got a Pentium D 3.00GHz - 2.00GB RAM im using ChankastAlpha025 and it works almost perfect with most games.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark30001 View Post
    Some games run full speed while others are slow or crash. It all depends on what machine you have.
    How would these PC specs run games like soul calibur or PSO: Intel Celeron D 3.33Ghz, 1.5GB RAM, without a graphics card (sad...I know)

Thread Information