Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Blu-ray investment justified, says Sony

ps3 Blu-ray investment justified, says Sony

via Games Industry

Responding to comments from PGR4's developer indicating that the team had problems fitting the data on a single DVD, Sony says that its Blu-ray investment is justified.

"We took a lot of heat at launch for including Blu-ray in PS3. Now it looks like that investment is being justified," said SCEA spokesman Dave Karraker, speaking to GamesIndustry.biz.

"Next generation games simply need more space on the disc to contain all that high definition content. Take a look at Lair, for example, already pushing 25GB of content, and that is a first-generation title. At 50GB storage capacity, Blu-ray gives the PS3 plenty of headroom for developers to fully realize their visions well into the future."

Bizarre Creations, the developer of PGR4, recently announced on its forums that players would not see different times of day in each racing location, not because it was a problem for the development team, but because it was a problem to fit the texture data on a single DVD.

In order to work around the issue, Bizarre provides different lighting models for each city.

DCEmu Rookie

I agree with Sony on this one.

DCEmu Newbie

Me too - saw this one coming.. ooh... back when the 360 was launched i guess. Pretty short-sighted of M$ really. I mean - imagine if the ps2 had only had a CD-Rom drive :P

DCEmu Rookie

So will Xbox owners be okay with splitting a racing title onto two discs, hu, huh? :P

DCEmu Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by jdnation View Post
    So will Xbox owners be okay with splitting a racing title onto two discs, hu, huh? :P
    They dont exactly have choice....I would think the xbox might be redesiged in terms of the drive it using - either switch to bluRay or ms introduces a new format.

Quote Originally Posted by ElRazur View Post
    I agree with Sony on this one.
    i second that

DCEmu Legend

I love it. How long ago was it, that many people were on these very boards saying how useless Blu-Ray would be for games, that we would not need it?

Yeah. I am glad Sony has stepped up and introduced new formats when other companies have stuck to their guns. PS1 using CDs rather than carts, PS2 using DVDs rather than CDs, PS3 using Blu-Ray. Hell I am willing to bet that MS will use Blu-Ray for their next console, while Sony will use Holographic discs for PS4...

Keep up the good work Sony, thank god you're thinking of your fans. I cannot imagine how $#@!ty MGS4 or Heavenly Sword would be if it was limited to a DVD...

Quote Originally Posted by F9zDark View Post
    I love it. How long ago was it, that many people were on these very boards saying how useless Blu-Ray would be for games, that we would not need it?

Yeah. I am glad Sony has stepped up and introduced new formats when other companies have stuck to their guns. PS1 using CDs rather than carts, PS2 using DVDs rather than CDs, PS3 using Blu-Ray. Hell I am willing to bet that MS will use Blu-Ray for their next console, while Sony will use Holographic discs for PS4...

Keep up the good work Sony, thank god you're thinking of your fans. I cannot imagine how $#@!ty MGS4 or Heavenly Sword would be if it was limited to a DVD...
    PC Engine CD did it in 1988, Sega CD in 1991, 3DO in 1993, Amiga CD-32 in 1993, Jaguar in 1993, Saturn in 1994 ....

Quote Originally Posted by jdnation View Post
    Fine by me. I know some people can't get up and actually WALK over to the 360, they have to roll, but its good workout. Really, burning the .000001 calories may be good for you.

DCEmu Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JKKDARK View Post
    PC Engine CD did it in 1988, Sega CD in 1991, 3DO in 1993, Amiga CD-32 in 1993, Jaguar in 1993, Saturn in 1994 ....
    Yeah... I was talking about consoles that didn't fail.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information