Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rumor: Shenmue Gone for Good

General games Rumor: Shenmue Gone for Good

via Wired Blogs

Some fairly depressing rumors are declaring that Shenmue, that sailor-loving Sega franchise, is all but dead and buried. As recently as last year, series creator Yu Suzuki confirmed the development of Shenmue Online, but legal issues between Sega and developer JC Entertainment stalled the game's development.

A post over at Shenmue Dojo, which quotes an email from Kikizo's Adam Doree, bodes ill for the future of both Shenmue Online and Shenmue 3:

"As for Shenmue, I would have to say at this stage, it is worth forgetting about. If all the fans get any rich relatives together and channel it though Dojo perhaps we could buy rights, hire Suzuki (he'd likely say yes) and independently make the game under license from Sega at no risk to them. That is the only way it will get made at this stage I think."

If that's not quite declarative enough for you, Doree also says "Shenmue Online is f***ed and Suzuki's status is, once again, up in the air, which counts Shenmue III totally out of the picture right now. This is confirmed, it seems."

While we can hope that Doree has no clue what he's talking about, it's sadly more likely that he's absolutely correct. We'll probably never see the conclusion of Ryo Hazuki's story, or see the comeuppance of the evil Lan Di. Sigh.

GameCentral is going to explode.

Also: Nooooooo... oh well the 2nd instalment wasn't that good anywho.

i never liked shenmue

Quote Originally Posted by Lupin3rd View Post
    GameCentral is going to explode.

Also: Nooooooo... oh well the 2nd instalment wasn't that good anywho.
    Quote Originally Posted by sourced View Post
    i never liked shenmue
    This is like: "I don't like video games"

DCEmu Rookie

I only tried the second one on xbox, and it totally sucked... Slow-paced and utterly boring...

DCEmu Rookie

Well Sourced and Gronne I can not begin to tell you how worrng you both are, I can suppose that there simply wasn't enough fragin' and shooting goin' or driving on as with your average xbox game. =(

Personally I saw this as a ~good thing~!!

If the game has any flaws AND IT DOES!!!
    It's only that you can only really appreciate the entire game the first go 'round, sadly almost ZERO replay value.

So yeah there was that bit about having to search for Sh*t (um People and Places etc.), But, not unlike the "Player", the Character also was just about as clueless to ~his~ Surroundings as well.
    Having only just shown up in (Late '80's), Hong Kong, with nowhere to go, (i.e. Slum Hotel by the Dock's)

I thought the Dev's / Story Writer's did an excellent job in bringin' that element forward, at the eventual cost of the Game as a whole.

It saddens me a great deal, that Sega could turn there Backs on this Game, but then again Yu Suzuki probably got over ambitious with Shenmue.
    The last thing I heard about the Franchise My Suzuki was planing on stretching Shenmue out to about Six Episodes (or Individual Games), if there was any truth to that, sadly I could see why Sega would be less then enthusiastic about producing it. T_T

DCEmu Rookie

Hey don't give me that crap, I know what constitutes a good game and if that contains fragging, then so be it.

As I said, I only played the second title and there's a chance I didn't give it enough time, but it simply gave me a too stiff and boring sensation I had to turn it off.

I'm a major fan of games with good stories and it really seemed interesting, but I'm just the guy that can't stand the awful arcade feeling it gave me. Final Fantasy 7, that's a good rpg with an awesome story.

But I can understand it has it's fan base.

My point is I preffered driving forklift's to stacking books.

DCEmu Regular

I played both shenmues when they came out on Dreamcast. It actually took me two attempts before I got hooked on the first game. The problem was that it was marketed like an RPG, and in those days, RPG meant games like Final Fantasy VII or Grandia II. Shenmue was a graphic adventure game, and it was an awesome adventure at that. In a way, it began the "go anywhere, do anything" trend that was later perfected in Grand Theft Auto III. The main difference was that you could not randomly attack people, and there were many smaller things which were possible, such as entering unimportant buildings, chatting with shop clerks, or collecting things from vending machines. It was an innovative game series, and it will be sorely missed.

As for Sega, I believe that they have been suffering a slow death ever since the end of the Dreamcast era. They make their money off of uninspired sequels and the occasional mediocre Sonic game. I can't blame them, though. They really can't afford to take big risks anymore. Their boneheaded merger with Sammy had me pulling my hair out years ago, and it obviously has not helped them. We can always hope for Sega's recovery, but I hold my own hopes that they get bought out by someone who can afford to fund their great franchises once more.

never played it and guess i never will

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information