Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PS2 CompactFlash

DCEmu Newbie

Default PS2 CompactFlash

I am a COMPLETE noob with the PS2. This is actually one of my first projects attempted with it. I am deeply into Dreamcast and Nintendo DS homebrew so I have a little bit of knowledge to make me not AS much of a noob i guess.

My question is, can I hook up a CompactFlash card to my PS2 through the USB connection? Specifically, I want to use the USB cord and reader for my Nintendo DS CompactFlash card to establish the connection. It is the only form of removable media I have that will hook up through USB and I do not have the PS2 hard drive or ethernet adapter.

The card I have is a Lexar 2GB 80x, and the reader came with "Max Media Dock" for Nintendo DS. This card is recognized by any PC I hook it up to immediatelly, and will not be recignized by the PS2 by simply hooking it up and turning it on. The card on the PC is also read as a "Lexar card" and not a card reader or nintendo ds device, which is why i think it MIGHT work.

My primary purpose to this is to get a Super Nintendo emulator running as Dreamcast refuses to see full speed SNES emulation and the SNES emu for DS doesnt play Final Fantasy games too well.

Before I start this, am I headed in the right direction for reaching my goal? I plan on using the "cogswap" method once i can get the files to my memory card. And once my files are actually to my memory card, do i NEED a gameshark or action replay? or is there ANY way to do this without the need to purchase anything extra?

my psp hooks up and 3 of my usb drives as long as ther in fat format works

i don't get how to use my psp or usb drive to do it, it wont work for me for some reason, is there something your supposed to do (my psp does have custom firmware)

narn: Oh, please yes! You would be come another addition to my pantheon of personal gods if you can improve SNES emulation on the PS2!

First off, I think it might be easier to go down to your local Walgreen's and spend $5 on a 64MB flash drive. They're really that dirt-cheap and ubiquitous now.

Aside from that, the FAT formatting suggestion is your next step. If your PC can recognise the CF Card as a 'Removable Storage Device' without any special drivers, you should be able to use it on your PS2.

Another thing that you didn't mention, but is important: Your PS2 won't detect the drive natively. You have to be running something like uLaunchELF or the Action Replay MAX. Under uLaunchELF, you'd use the File Browser and look under 'mass:/'.

Unfortunately, the only safe way to 'Softmod' your Phat PS2 requires that you are able to transfer files from your PC to your PS2 MemCard. That will usually require the ARMax OR a friend who's modded their PS2. Someone mentioned trying the PS2/PS3 MemCard converter, but they haven't reported on whether that worked or not yet.

Once the files are on your MemCard, you really don't need the ARMax anymore. Just the 'Enhanced' MemCard and your PSX 'Key' disc. I keep mine around just in case every one of my Independence-Enhanced MemCards gets somehow tacoed.

darkriku: Even a PSP running Official FW can be used for PS2 USB storage. You just have to use the 'USB Connection' option, just as if you were connecting it to your PC. Then as I mentioned above, use uLaunchELF or ARMax to make use of its storage.

Of course, you could also use it to store GT4 screencaps. ^^d
    Last edited by Tesseract; March 30th, 2008 at 22:20.

but i've connected it to my ps2 before and selected the usb connection but it would just say please wait and nothing would happen on my tv screen, is there something in particular i need, or maybe it's do to lack of ps2 game saves?

The native PS2 browser does not read USB Flash for storage purposes (unfortunately).

You need to be running a program on the PS2 that can, like uLaunchELF, the ARMax disc or something like Gran Turismo 4.

would another PS2 game that has connectivity with the psp work, like Metal Gear Solid 3 maybe, than could i possibly use that to launch the appropriate ELF
    Last edited by darkriku2000; March 31st, 2008 at 04:42.

Hmm... I've not read of anyone even TRYING to find a new exploit on the PS2 in ages. It'd be neat if that would work similar to the SoftMod trick for the XBox.

I really don't know how/if that would work, but if you wanna try a few things, document them and list 'em here!

hm...

I guess that theoretically speaking, any game witch connects to a USB drive can allow you to transfer stuff to the ps2 thus allowing you to copy the needed exploits to the memory card,
    problem, I don't know which games I can use, if I can find a game, i'll see what i can do with my ps2 (though i gotta make sure my bro doesn't see me if i have to take anything apart)

I've also seen these ps2 > PC USB adapters, and theres apparently a way to make one on your own, so i'll look out for that as well

The trick here is to NOT have to open your PS2.

I can only recall a few off the top of my head. GT4, obviously, but I think Jak X linked up with 'Daxter'. Also, I seem to recall hearing about something MGS3 did with the PSP, but I don't recall what.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information