Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Review: EZ-Flash V 3-in-1 Expansion Bundle

Reviews Webmaster/Reviewer bandit's Avatar

NDS Review: EZ-Flash V 3-in-1 Expansion Bundle

EZ-Flash V 3-in-1 Expansion Bundle
    Manufacturer: EZ Flash
    Site: Buy from DealExtreme / Buy from VolumeRate / Buy from DealExtreme (1GB) / Buy from ConsoleSource
    Price: $54.95

Overview : EZ-Flash 5 Bundle Edition (3-in1 Expansion Pak) features an advanced PDA like interface and easy to use software. The EZ-Flash 5 slot-1 solution is based on mature Slot-1 technology, so there is no need to flash your system, use a passkey device, or patch your files anymore. You can focus on playing games without worrying anything else. More than that, EZ-Flash 5's multimedia functions turns your system into a multimedia powerhouse.

EZ-Flash V is the result of the EZ-Flash Teams's experience and expertise from the GBA era. The EZ-Flash Team has never given up to technology difficulties in the 4 years, and they have always pushed themselves on creating wonderful solutions for gamers. With highly secured quality assurance, active improvements on defects, and respect to the user opinions is what the EZ-Flash team have provided to satisfy gamers across the world.

Features :
    • 1:1 original card size
    • Side loading microSD.
    • Uses MicroSD (Trans Flash) as external storage.
    • Direct boot, don't need another passkey or flashme.
    • EZ5 also can be used as passkey.
    • Moonshell integrated bootloader, directly watch DPG movies, listen to MP3's, and read eBooks.
    • Bootloader can be full customized. You can change skins and functions, and bootloader source code almost fully opened.
    • Dual read mode: CLEAN and HYBRID. CLEAN means just drag the rom to card and play. HYBRID means EZ5 supports the modified rom for further/advanced features such as softreset and cheat, it also provides improved compatibility such as boosting the read speed - so no slowdown even if you have a low speed microsd card.
    • Perfect FAT system support, automatically generates save files. multi save function also available.
    • Uses hardware flashchip for saves - never lose your save. Loader is upgradeable
    • Homebrew support, IO lib will be released on launch

3-in-1 Features:
    • EZTEAM announces the one stop expansion pack solution with integrated the 256Mbit GBA card, NDS Browser RAM Expansion Pack, NDS Rumble Pack, ALL three cards in to one Lite sized slot-2 card. With several years experience of flashcard development, this installation has it all.
    • GBA function: it equipped with 256Mbit Norflash, 2Mbit SRAM, Battery. so it can compatible with almost GBA game(except which needs special hardware). and it has three advantages to compare with SDRAM/PSRAM GBA solution.
    • The data still remain after power off.
    • Can be used as a standalone GBA card.
    • Perfect GBA/NDS linker
    • Browser RAM expansion function uses the highspeed ram cache as primary. perfect compatibility with NDS Browser (JAP/EUR).
    • Rumble function works perfectly with all official rumble enabled games, it also has three levels of vibration strength that can be adjusted. Now you can adjust between power consume and better game feeling by yourself. SDK also provided for third party developers.

Quality/Usability :
    EZ-Flash V SLOT-1
    The EZ-Flash V comes in a cardboard box. Inside is a plastic tray that holds the EZ-Flash V and 3-in-1 expansion pack. Whats lacking with the EZ-Flash that other flash carts offer is a USB card reader and software CD.

The SLOT-1 cart itself is the same size as any other flash cart and original DS cartridge. The microSD is inserted through the side of the flash cart instead of the top like others on the market. There is also no spring loaded action when inserting and removing of card, so you'll have to manually pull the microSD card out. Although the card is the same size as the DS cartridge, on the front of the EZ-Flash V, you'll notice a chip is protruding from the casing.

Since the EZ-Flash V does not come with a microSD card reader, you'll have to get a card reader as well as downloading the necessary files for EZ-Flash V at their own homepage or from here.

The GUI itself is based off on Moonshell. It looks identical to Moonshell and you can use the same skins. Unfortunately, the GUI doesnt take advantage of the touchscreen. The only time you can use the touchscreen is when you’re using the multimedia function (music or video).

Like all other SLOT-1 flash carts on the market, it had no problem booting and playing games that I loaded onto the microSD.

Homebrew requires FAT access or it will not work unless the homebrew application you’re trying to run has DLDI support and you patched it with EZ-Flash V's DLDI file. Homebrew such as DSOrganize loaded perfectly when you apply the DLDI patch

3-in-1 Expansion Pack
    As an extra bonus (and of course a little extra cash), you get a 3-in-1 expansion pack. The expansion pack contains GBA flash cart, RAM expansion pack and a rumble pack.

The 3-in-1 expansion pack was suppose to work with only the EZ-Flash V but it seems to work with CycloDS Evolution, R4 and M3 Simply.

The quality of the expansion pack is well built and sturdy. It fits perfectly in the DS Lite SLOT-2. Unfortunately, the Lite version of the expansion is available in the bundle. It will not fit in a original Nintendo DS. You can purchase both the Lite and original DS sized expansion packs separately which sells approximately for $22.00.

GBA Game
    To play GBA games, you must load the games using the EZ client onto the microSD card or the game will not save correctly. Once you have copied over your GBA game, select it from the EZ loader and press R+SELECT. This will write the game to the 256mbit of space that is on the expansion pack. Due to the size, it may take awhile to copy files over.

To start a GBA game, there are two ways to do so: 1) selecting "START GBA GAME" or 2) pressing R+A when selecting a game from the EZ-Flash V menu. Since there is only 256mbit of available memory, you can only load one game at a time on the expansion pack.

RAM Expansion
    Opera DS Browser comes with its own RAM pack that gives the browser a little extra boost in performance. The expansion pack does the same thing but only works with the ROM version. You can not use the expansion pack with the actual Opera DS Browser cartridge.

With the inclusion of the RAM Expansion, homebrew developers can take advantage of the extra RAM when it comes to developing homebrew games and applications. Of course, that would mean gamers will have to get a RAM pack.

Rumble Pack
    There are three settings: LOW, MEDIUM and HIGH. With the rumble set on HIGH, the vibration makes a thunderous noise. You can hear this during gameplay if you have the volume of your DS set low enough. If the rumble is set on LOW, you wont hear it as much as if it was set on HIGH but you'll still be able to feel the vibration. You can adjust the rumble strength by pressing R+L on the EZ-Flash V menu.

Conclusion : Overall, the EZ-Flash V 3-in-1 Expansion Bundle is on top of the list as one of the best flash carts on the market..of course thanks to the help of the 3-in-1 expansion pack which makes it almost an all-in-one solution. The expansion pack is what makes the EZ-Flash V stand out from the rest of the pack. It would of been nice if they also included a CD with the necessary files and a USB card reader for the microSD.

Too bad that the expansion pack only limits you to load one GBA game at a time. But you can never be too picky. Just be happy that its even available!

Please note that none of the "upgrade" products listed in this site are endorsed by Nintendo, Sony and/or Microsoft. DCEmu Reviews and DCEmu Network does not condone piracy. The primary functions of a "modchip" and/or "flashcart" are to allow you to play imported games and homebrew software that you legally own or simply just for experimenting with hardware. We in no way endorse piracy, and encourage all users to do the right thing and support the developers/manufacturers that support them. We do not take any responsibilities for any use outside of these parameters or where the use of such a device is illegal.

DIGG THIS

Images via comments
    Last edited by bandit; October 27th, 2010 at 04:27.
    Follow us (1KIND Photography): Website | YouTube | Facebook | Twitter
    Follow Us (DCEmu Reviews): YouTube | Facebook | Twitter

DCEmu Newbie

God, did they pay you for that overview, or did you just copy/paste it from their marketing site? I'm thinking the first one as these guys have trouble with English normally.

A few notes about this card:
    The shell is an old version of moonshell. It's a slow booter in addition to not using the touchscreen at all. The next kernel will support touchscreen access, but it's a tossup as to when it will be out.
    The team is not current working on things like compatibility or getting download play working properly. They're working on a cheat engine, which was promised before launch but wasn't delivered.
    Obtaining the software for this thing is a nightmare. The best place is the user-run forums and wiki, that's filled with dead links and confusing topics.
    You can't run homebrew with just a DLDI patch. You also need to patch the gamecode for a lot of it. There's a patcher available on the forums. Oh, and good luck contacting the actual team about anything, unless you speak Chinese.
    The 3-in-1's rumble is LOUD. It's very, very loud. Even on low, it's still an annoying buzz. It's really not worth it, and you'll have to patch the save list yourself or remove your 3-in-1 if you don't want it. There's no way to disable it in the card itself.
    You can only store one GBA game at a time, and it takes minutes to transfer some of the larger games.

My recommendation? Pick up a 3-in-1 and something like an R4. Or pick up a slot-2 card like a Supercard Lite or M3 Perfect. The EZ-V just isn't worth the money spent on it compared to its competitors.

Reviews Webmaster/Reviewer bandit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by koiulpoi View Post
    God, did they pay you for that overview, or did you just copy/paste it from their marketing site? I'm thinking the first one as these guys have trouble with English normally.

A few notes about this card:
    The shell is an old version of moonshell. It's a slow booter in addition to not using the touchscreen at all. The next kernel will support touchscreen access, but it's a tossup as to when it will be out.
    The team is not current working on things like compatibility or getting download play working properly. They're working on a cheat engine, which was promised before launch but wasn't delivered.
    Obtaining the software for this thing is a nightmare. The best place is the user-run forums and wiki, that's filled with dead links and confusing topics.
    You can't run homebrew with just a DLDI patch. You also need to patch the gamecode for a lot of it. There's a patcher available on the forums. Oh, and good luck contacting the actual team about anything, unless you speak Chinese.
    The 3-in-1's rumble is LOUD. It's very, very loud. Even on low, it's still an annoying buzz. It's really not worth it, and you'll have to patch the save list yourself or remove your 3-in-1 if you don't want it. There's no way to disable it in the card itself.
    You can only store one GBA game at a time, and it takes minutes to transfer some of the larger games.

My recommendation? Pick up a 3-in-1 and something like an R4. Or pick up a slot-2 card like a Supercard Lite or M3 Perfect. The EZ-V just isn't worth the money spent on it compared to its competitors.
    Overviews are taken from affiliates or from actual sites. No one pays us...you readers do by helping to click on the ads on the homepage

If you have problems getting downloads for EZ-Flash or any other flash carts, here is a good source to get old and updated files - here.
    Follow us (1KIND Photography): Website | YouTube | Facebook | Twitter
    Follow Us (DCEmu Reviews): YouTube | Facebook | Twitter

DCEmu Rookie

Wait! Does this mean that it can load GBA games from the Slot-1 MicroSD onto the Slot-2 RAM and run them?

If so, this could really be an all-in-one solution, considering I have my Opera ram inside my DS at all times anyway.

Oh wait, looking closer, it seems this uses NOR Flash. I would think loading the games into regular RAM (SuperCard style) would be faster, and possibly cheaper too, though it would run down the battery slightly faster.

The 3in1 expansion pack can use NOR, bigger games permanent storage. Or PSRAM for <16MB games, which is quicker, ideal for homebrew

Yes you just copy the patched gba files to your slot 1 card (I have an R4) and copy them to the expansion card with gbaldr or the 3in1 tool.

The 3in1 is pretty cheap on its own and comes in normal gba cart sizes as well.

And of course I have a M3 Simply/ 3 in 1 tutorial up here:

http://starwarslegacy.net/NDS.aspx

DCEmu Rookie

Hey, thanks for the info, guys. It seems that of the carts I own, only one (MOTHER 3) is bigger than 16MB. However, four are exactly 16 MB, those being Shinyaku Seiken Densetsu (Sword of Mana), MOTHER 1+2, FFV, and FFVI.

Has anyone tested 16 meg carts with the PSRAM? I ask because I'm wondering if there's any overhead involved, or if it's possible to use the whole space for a ROM. Or could one maybe truncate the ROMs and still run them?

Also, I wonder if it's possible to do this with the official Nintendo RAM expansion instead (not in NOR mode, of course). Maybe I'll test that in a bit.

Edit: Okay, tested. Doesn't work. Plus I found a site that says Nintendo intentionally made the cart so it wouldn't work in GBA mode. So I guess I'll be getting an EZ-Flash 3-in-1 soon.

What are you trying to do exactly with the 16Mb carts? Avoid loading them from NOR Mode?

I'm not sure what you are getting at, but my page might help, not sure.

DCEmu Rookie

Yeah, I don't really want to have to load anything from NOR mode.

DCEmu Newbie

RAM Expansion
    Opera DS Browser comes with its own RAM pack that gives the browser a little extra boost in performance. The expansion pack does the same thing but only works with the ROM version. You can not use the expansion pack with the actual Opera DS Browser cartridge.

With the inclusion of the RAM Expansion, homebrew developers can take advantage of the extra RAM when it comes to developing homebrew games and applications. Of course, that would mean gamers will have to get a RAM pack.
    How much RAM is there in the 3 in 1? 4 Megs like the Opera expansion pack or is there more?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information