Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WildC*rd statement on the use of our source code and explanation of the leak

Default WildC*rd statement on the use of our source code and explanation of the leak

We shall now explain this fully. Hopefully this will clear all misconceptions and misunderstandings.

We had reversed DA's OE CFW and were in the middle of updating it to 3.51/3.52. We already had a working 3.40* but we were never planning to release it, since we knew it wouldnt be able to compete with M33 (who had by then already released a 3.52 version of theirs with advanced features such as NO-UMD). More importantly, we hadn't ironed out all bugs yet. So we were waiting until our 3.52 version was complete before releasing.

However, team member accounts on MaxConsole were compromised (the problem has now been solved - credits to Zeus). Hence, Lamers had access to all of our PMs, and several Wildcard members were completely unaware that their PMs were being monitored. Gradually, because of the information from those PMs, Lamers got access to a private forum setup for the Wildcard team. And from info gathered there, eventually got access to our private SVN.

Lamers leaked everything from our private SVN. Now, these people are the absolute s$#@! of the PSP scene (and in fact have been 'infecting' every console scene ever in existance), they have known to lie, cheat, & steal all in the name of money. They grab every homebrew release they can find from all PSP sites and have the original authors names hex edited out and post them on their site pretending that they were the authors. They even posed as Dark_AleX on their forums and posted his releases there with his username to intice extra visitors.

They mainly gain their income through advertising, traffic, & site visits (hence their desparation to lie and cheat to gain more visitors). So when they leaked our source, we knew definitely it would bring a huge increase of traffic to their site. So to prevent them gaining anymore traffic (and hence income) and to prevent their name from being heavily promoted and advertised due to this leak, we decide the best course of action is to "officially" release our source instead. Now mind you, we never in a million years ever wanted this source to be public. It was done purely to pre-empt the release of the leak by Lamers. And also to further isolate their "big news item", we decided to publically release our 3.40 CFW (which was in the middle of being updated, hence why the recovery menu said 3.51* WildC*rd). So because of this rushed release, there were still bugs left and we apologize for this. But we then realised that this CFW was becoming quite popular so we decided to support the fans and start officially supporting 3.40* LE as an official release (hence the quick bug fixes).

Now having said all this, out of respect to the devs that worked so hard on this source and also out of respect for Dark_AleX, Team WildC*rd politely requested that this source be used for educational purposes only and not for public releases.

Now regarding Ketchup's release, firstly, we got permission from the author of SCEP to use his source in our release (you may ask him yourself to confirm). Secondly, even though members of Team WildC*rd wish to remain anonymous, there are members that know DA personally and we can assure you we have his blessings. Thirdly, we completely reversed DA's PRX's rather than using his direct source, Ketchup is not reversing our binary release of 3.40* LE, he is using our direct source code.

It is not that we do not respect Ketchups work, on the contrary, we were quite impressed with what he had achieved. What we do not wish however, is for the source to be used. Ketchup may of course still reverse our recovery.prx binary that we released from 3.40*. If he really wants to release something, reverse the prx himself from scratch like we did, do no rely on the source instead. We would have no problem with that. And the same goes for anyone else, if you wish to release something from our source, get the source by reversing the prx's, not by just downloading the leak. I believe we are respecting his wishes that way, he may release a recovery, only if its based on our prx and not the source code.

Like I mentioned above, out of respect for the hard work Team WildC*rd Members put into this CFW and out of respect for DA, we politely request that the source not be used for public releases. Realise that we were forced into a corner and we had not much choice but to release the source. We never wanted either the source nor 3.40* to be ever publically released. But of course, we cannot force anyone to do whatever we want, PSPGEN have have already said that Ketchup will release another version soon. We cannot force you not to, we can only ask for you to respect our wishes.

And finally, a quick note to those who see our source release as an opportunity to release a ripped clone of 3.40* or even 3.10* (read: Test30 and his pals) - Don't. It will not improve your reputation (or the size of your e-penis), sites such as QJ and MaxConsole will not support you, and members of the scene will discount your work.

Thank you all for your understanding.

- Team WildC*rd

........................................o
    .....................................o./ \.o
    .....................................\___/
    ......................................o |
    ...................................../_. |
    .....................................\_ ;

DCEmu Pro

I hope everyone will respectfully understand your wishes and not release anything based on the source code. Everyone should fully understand you were forced to do what you did, and I'm very glad to hear that no one is angry with anyone else, beside the lamers who hacked your accounts. May they rot in hell for destroying the beauitful scene that way. They are breaking the entire community.

Please continue doing your fabulous work. You deserve all the support you can get, and you have the entire scene (not counting the lamers (which I don't count as part of the scene anyway)) with you. Thanks for everything!

Blog Entries

Thanks for coming to PSP News/DCEmu and putting the record straight, its because of lamers that the homebrew scene gets dragged through crap because of lamers actions.

One of the reasons we made DCEmu a site where any coder can post news is that if something needs to be said then theres no better place.

Thanks for your work on the Custom firmwares

thats terrible. people like that should not be allowed to have the interent

DCEmu Old Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy4point0 View Post
    thats terrible. people like that should not be allowed to have the interent
    Indeed

Good luck Team Wildc*rd!

Cloudy

go Wildc*rd. woooo XD

So who are said Lamers, so I can continue to further boycott and slander the name of these PSP s$#@!?

Name them and smack'em down
    Respected Webmasters and forum admins already have the solidarity to refuse to promote their craptistic lame @ss's.
    I dont want to support anything they do... EVER.

DCEmu Old Pro

Posting who they are would be free advertising - however, if you look at WildC*rd's readme's you can work it out.

Cloudy

DCEmu Rookie

I entirely agree with the statement that the homebrew scene was kinda shocked by this action of hacking the accounts ... BUT:

1. Why is it so bad that the source became released? A public source in my eyes is always something that everyone can profit from (I do NOT mean financially!)

2. Why was the "scene" drawn into the dirt by this? I mean okay, they got into the system and stole data, that's not the "polite" way of getting information, but still it does not destroy a "scene". Don'T get me wrong, I don'T wanna criticize, I just want to understand. Maybe I do not know the circumstances which are important to understand this

3. okay, I understand why Wildcard do not want other people to profit from their work. But this is exactly what huge companies like M*c*osoft, S*ny, etc. do not want either ... and - u have to admit that - most ppl. do not care about this in any way. Everyone is just saying "hey, why do u restrict this software/hardware, so we can't do this 'n' that? that sux" ... U get my point? I think it's okay to base your work on information that someone else has gathered/worked hard for, as long as you give credit for this. I'm not talking about copying 1:1 the work of thers, but let's say s/o else builds a CFW on the SC of Wildcard. But this CFW is not like Wildcards, but with some new, innovative ideas (hell, I just lack an example, sry!). And if they officially say "hey, we made this ourselves, but we used stuff from Wildcard, thx for your work", this would be entirely okay ... why not?!

4. maybe I should add that I also agree that the release of the source code in order to gain money is a shame! I do not know whether this is true, since I haven't seen the website of those people and I honestly do not want to see it, but IF your claim that they released it because of a financial benefit, then they are definately miserable characters. But as I said, this is what you claim and I cannot judge about this in any way.

Thx for ur attention, it's just my opinion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information