Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mapthis 0.6, 2 year anniversary ?

DCEmu Regular

Default Mapthis 0.6, 2 year anniversary ?

So Mapthis 0.5 is out. Deniska has released a wonderfull peace of GPS engineering.

But what to expect from the future ? Mapthis exists now 1 year, but in 1 year where will you see mapthis ?

Be realistic, so TOTAL Tomtom replacement will never happen as a Tomtom is a very dedicated device found by a very very large company.

I hope to see in a year:

Faster mapthis then ever.
    Full Geodata for Europe.
    PSP-290 Extension cables factory made.

Internationalisation for MANY countries.
    User made plugins
    Virtual Fly over (so view the route you've driven)

Google Earth support.
    Maps for the whole planet (could be impossible)

Thanks

DCEmu Newbie

-Smaller maps. (I have 2 cities and they're both 150mb each) Los angeles, and orange county.
    -Creating a trip with directions without the use of a computer. (What if you need directions and don't have a computer near you?)

DCEmu Newbie

@Ranmax - I reside in the OC as well, i created a map of all of SoCal which is about 500 megs, ne who, about ur second suggestion, I agree with you and im sure a lot of people want this as well, but I think it would be virtually impossible to have a device that can recognize routes simply because MapThis is just a utility to view maps and it doesnt create the maps itself. So basically everything is based on longitude and latitude input and the maps we are viewing are simply images with data, so it doesnt know where the streets are and what not, but that would be something I would love to have as well, Deniska is a monster so i wouldnt doubt him though.. .: D

true deniska is a monster indeed and some of the stuff he has planned.. oh man... i can't wait!

i too have an entire map of so-cal about 520megs it goes from Santa Monica to Oceanside and east out to Corona. If you would like PM me.

DCEmu Newbie

I would like the map! Could I get a preview of it califrag?

We have something here. We need to have a central location for maps. That way, we don't have to create our own and waste time. Does anyone want to stand up a web server to house this?

DCEmu Regular

Nikkinquyen, this is talked about many times. You get legal problems with google/microsoft etc etc

AND:

The data traffic will be HUGE, say ENORMOUS if 1000's of mapthis users are downloading from the servers.

We talk about 500+ mb mapfiles here !

So you need a 250 gb server with unlimited data traffic, in a fast speed country (preferrably 100+ mbit) do you now, that will cost a ton !

Per the first post, a factory made psp-290 extension cable is now available for $16. Check the front page on Deniska's site.

DCEmu Regular

OMFG thats GREAT news. Too bad they didn't come up with a mold so it's uber proffesional made. But it's made now by engineers, not by some 2 left handed noob like me.

I'll order one tomorrow if i load up my paypal.

Quote Originally Posted by Codaz View Post
    Nikkinquyen, this is talked about many times. You get legal problems with google/microsoft etc etc

AND:

The data traffic will be HUGE, say ENORMOUS if 1000's of mapthis users are downloading from the servers.

We talk about 500+ mb mapfiles here !

So you need a 250 gb server with unlimited data traffic, in a fast speed country (preferrably 100+ mbit) do you now, that will cost a ton !
    I dont have any trouble with the connection in my serverhalls *Lol* and the space for storing maps could be solved by donations..
    The only thing i got problem with is the legal issue
    I will never host Pirate files on my servers, other than that im all up for it.

Ive got a server on a 200/200 Mbit/s connection without any limitations to the ammount of data being shuffled. :thumbup:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information