Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: jEnesisDS 0.5 - Genesis/Megadrive Emulator for the Nintendo DS

DCEmu Newbie

Thanks Lordus! Great news.

I'm really excited about the comment you made concerning the sound emulation. I'd gladly sacrifice some other features in favor of a working sound emulation - at least in some basic form. Playing the Genesis w/o sound just doesn't seem right

We all appreciate the hard work you're putting into this. Thanks again and keep up the good work.

Dcemu Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Xcliber View Post
    Isn't 1 of the cpu's on the DS strictly for audio anyway????

Wouldn't it be as if multithreading? 2 CPU's performing 2 completely seperate tasks... Emulating Graphics and Emulating Sound
    It isnt strictly for audio and writing code for 2 cpus is not really the easiest thing. Official DS software is not allowed to use the 2nd cpu for anything at all, except for things provided by the official SDK.
    I will however try to use it and it will run faster than running everything on 1 cpu, but its not 2 completely seperate threads either, as things have to be synched.

Quote Originally Posted by gordillo View Post
    is there any way to make the screen smaller to fit the whole game?
    Quote Originally Posted by campbell00 View Post
    Anyone able to get virtua fighter 2 working? Why dont some games not even load?

Did you read my last post and the release notes?
    The screen is already vertically scaled to fit. There is NO WAY to horizontally scale it in hardware rendering, except you want it to be extremely slow.
    Games over 3MB wont load.

Quote Originally Posted by totocorp View Post
    However, I've noticed that the management of the sprites seems less effective than in the 0.4a version.

Last thing : when loading a save state, the top menu is incomplete.

By hoping that these observations will be useful.
    On the contrary. The managment of sprites is much more effective and thats exactly the reason for those glitches... sometimes its too effective. This can be fixed by one line of code, but also makes it slower.
    So i opted for speed, because it doesnt really affect many games, nor playability.
    I am of course still working on it and hoping to get speed and accuracy closer together. Unfortunately a day has just 24 hours...

I didnt test savestates extensively, and chances are, that they might not always work 100%. Sometimes it could be, that a state of the HW renderer is not restored. You can try to swap the "Force update" option twice, which should completely restore the HW renderer (if that was the problem).

DCEmu Newbie

Thank you for this emulaor, I was waiting for a good genesis emulator ( genesis/megadrive was my first console ) and this rocks !
    Can't wait for the sound, ( playing street of rage 2 without sound is impossible ) .

By the way, It's sad that Landstalker freeze after main menu.

Dcemu Coder

Quote Originally Posted by kompleet View Post
    By the way, It's sad that Landstalker freeze after main menu.
    Yeah its really sad... that it freezes, when idle loop detection is enabled... so try disabling it

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Lordus View Post
    Yeah its really sad... that it freezes, when idle loop detection is enabled... so try disabling it

ohhh sorry !!! I did not tested this !!!!

:thumbup:

Another great release, Lordus.

omg me and my friend found a way to play wirelss with you emu lordus see were playing nba hangtime and we click two player it work we were on the same team beating another team it was so cool oh yeah buy the way we use datels games n music with dso and it dldi patches everything and every emu and aplication i tried on it works so it like the r4 without roms support

DCEmu Newbie

my favorite emulator out right now

DCEmu Rookie

So do you think sound will eventually be doable then, Lordus? I can't decide whether or not there was a trace of optimism in your post. What's the ARM7 being used for in the dev version?

Personally, I was always a SNES guy (the Genesis color palette always seemed a bit gloomy to me), but Phantasy Star IV on the DS would be pretty sweet...

Dcemu Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Eyedunno View Post
    So do you think sound will eventually be doable then, Lordus? I can't decide whether or not there was a trace of optimism in your post. What's the ARM7 being used for in the dev version?

Personally, I was always a SNES guy (the Genesis color palette always seemed a bit gloomy to me), but Phantasy Star IV on the DS would be pretty sweet...

Sorry if it didnt come through There was a bit of optimism in my post...

The Arm7 will be/is being used for FM and PSG emulation. Games that do sound on the 68000 and dont use the Z80 do have sound already (at least its recognizable). There is almost no negative effect on speed (maybe 2-3 FPS), but i have to sort out some things, because it doesnt sound acceptable yet.

I will try to optimize the FM core also, but still it will bring the Arm7 to its limits, and the Z80 wont fit there anyway. So implementing the Z80 on the Arm9 without loosing too much speed will be the really interesting part.

Fortunately there are some really nice games that dont need the Z80 for sound, so those will be ok (Sonic, Streets of Rage, Gunstar Heroes).

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information