this is ill!!!
DIGG THIS NEWS
PLAYTV UNLOCKS FREE DIGITAL TV ON PLAYSTATION 3
Watch, record and replay TV shows on demand
Turn PS3 into a digital personal video recorder and record programmes to watch anytime, anywhere
Leipzig, 22 August 2007. At Games Convention today, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe announced the introduction of PlayTV - the software that turns PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™) into a Personal Video Recorder (PVR). PlayTV will be available in UK, France, Italy, Germany and Spain early in 2008, with other PAL territories to follow in due course.
With the ability to watch, pause and record live TV from a huge range of free channels, PlayTV reinforces PS3’s rightful place in the Living Room at the heart of the family’s entertainment needs. Whether it is recording a programme whilst watching another, simply recording a entire series1 at the touch of a button or for watching programmes on the go via remote play on PSP™ (PlayStation®Portable), PlayTV offers a simple solution to it all.
“The introduction of PlayTV really will extend the already broad entertainment credentials of PS3, and makes it an exceptionally attractive proposition for the whole family,” said David Reeves, President of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe. “PS3 already provides High Definition gaming, Blu-ray Disc movies, music, video, photo album, web browsing and PLAYSTATION Network support. With the introduction of PlayTV’s state of the art TV tuner and PVR functionality, PS3 is now the best choice of home entertainment hub for the whole family.”
PlayTV provides the sort of features you’ll only find on the most expensive PVRs:
* Two High Definition-ready TV tuners: both able to view, record and play TV in High Definition as well as standard definition.
* Electronic Programme Guide2: an incredibly user-friendly, seven-day interface, that provides the navigation for programming the PVR features of PlayTV – it’s fast and simple to use with either PS3’s SIXAXIS™ controller or the Blu-ray Remote Control.
* Compatibility: PlayTV operates on the widely available Digital Video Broadcasting – Terrestrial (DVB-T) format.
* Easy to use: Intuitive controls, single button help features, tutorial videos and simple navigation make PlayTV a joy to use compared with the complex navigation of other PVR models.
Optional on-screen graphical display provides a wealth of information about the status of PlayTV and provides quick access to programme information, stored TV programmes and the controls to pause or record live TV.
PlayTV will also set the correct interface for either Standard Definition or High Definition displays automatically for a hassle-free viewing experience.
* Portable viewing with PSP: Seamless PSP connectivity allows you to set recordings, watch Live TV and recorded TV programmes remotely on the PSP via a WiFi connection (using Remote Play feature) – or you can transfer video files to your PSP via USB cable.
* It’s future-proof: PlayTV will evolve with time – with new features added and updated via the PLAYSTATION®Network.
PLAYSTATION 3 was already more than a games console; now, it’s a TV tuner as well – PlayTV is one more reason why PS3 should be right at the centre of the living room.
1. Series recording currently only available in the UK.
2. Subject to availability, country dependent.
DIGG THIS NEWS
Sony and the PS3 have won. this is a killer release and as saidEND-OFPlayTV reinforces PS3’s rightful place in the Living Room
include the future games and the ps3's power..
x360, wiiiiiii sorry
o shyt this is one of the best reasons to have a ps3. although i have a DVR so this isnt useful to me..
i have sky plus so i wont be needing this, good concept though
basically is gonna be like TiVo...sadly enough its not for the us
Since when did a psps firmware look like that lol
Wow, now I know what the Europeans feel like to get shafted by Sony. Everything that was in this press conference, the DVR, the messaging on the PSP, and whatever else there was, is just for Europe. I sure hope this will work if I import it because if it does then I'm buying it.
Crossing my fingers for future US version
I'm pretty sure that should read "hardware." I don't know of any algorithm that will let the PS3 magically absorb HD TV signals. Something tells me this is going to be priced pretty close to a regular TV tuner, since it's going to require the hardware.Leipzig, 22 August 2007. At Games Convention today, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe announced the introduction of PlayTV - the software that turns PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™) into a Personal Video Recorder (PVR).
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)