Thread: Sony "very pleased" with July sales figures

ps3 Sony "very pleased" with July sales figures

via Games Industry

SCEA's analyst relations manager Mariam Sughayer has said the company is "very pleased" with the recent NPD sales figures for July - although sales of the PS3 still lag behind Microsoft's Xbox 360 console.

Earlier this month industry analysts weighed in with sale predictions, incorrectly expecting the PlayStation 3 to outsell the Xbox 360 for the first time since release in North America.

The PlayStation 3 sold 159,000 units in July, with Microsoft selling 170,000 Xbox 360 units. July was the first month that the recent USD 100 price cut on the PS3 would have been reflected in the data.

"From a PlayStation perspective, coming out of E3 we were really anticipating a good reaction to our new hardware pricing announced on July 9, and we were obviously very pleased to see that PS3 sales increased with 159,000 units sold at retail, which puts us up 61 per cent over June numbers," said Sughayer in the PlayStation.blog.

Sughayer believes that the price cut helped boost sales, aided by the building anticipation of new software due before Christmas.

"While I think a lot of that had to do with the new price, I also think there is a great deal of anticipation for the line up of games just around the corner."

"In fact, September should be definitely be a big month for us when you add in the launch of the new slimmer, lighter PSP," she added.

wow, only 11,000 units down, even for a system that costs so much, thats quite impressive.

Lets now weigh up how many Xbox 360s are being sold on eBay over a month to buy a PS3. It soon weighs up ~nods contentedly~

Heh, they had to mention the Slimline. I think this is just a shot in the dark for Sony. The only reason the slimline Ps2 did so well, is that at that time PS2 prices were already dropping, and many older models dying early (still have my old bulky PS2 from near release though and she works fine). The PSP slimline is a boost in price, to an already costly hand held, thats only done marginally well. I would not run down to shops and pay out a few hundred (though I may be mistaken on the price seeing as I dont all that much care about it, happy with my "bulky PSP" for now), for a slim console with a RAM boost you can get from hacked firmware.

Quote Originally Posted by Malus Darkblade View Post
    Lets now weigh up how many Xbox 360s are being sold on eBay over a month to buy a PS3. It soon weighs up ~nods contentedly~
    LOL just watch Xbox 360 sales go up because of the price drop.

Thread Information