Thread: PAX 07 hands-on: Zelda PH will make you love Zelda, life again

Blog Entries

NDS PAX 07 hands-on: Zelda PH will make you love Zelda, life again

via joystiq

As a DS fanboy (even before-- well, you know), as soon as I saw The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass at Nintendo's PAX booth, I was there. And I was not at all disappointed. In fact, despite having already read lots of gushing about the game, I found myself completely sucked in by even the most basic tasks. My impressions agree totally with the E3 impressions-- however, these are PAX impressions, which are a completely different thing.

The demo starts you out in a port town, unarmed, with a directive from your fairy friend to go talk to your grandpa. After a visit to Grandpa, you head out to a monster-infested area, then your general jaunt around town (Go talk to this character! Go try to cross this bridge! Oh, the bridge has collapsed! We should talk to Grandpa! etc.) The demo spent just enough time not giving you the sword that I was starting to get a little antsy; however, one final visit to Grandpa got me my weapon, and he then went about teaching me how to use it.

It's as simple as can be: tap enemies to attack, draw a line to do a sideways slash, draw a circle to do a spin move. With this equipment and knowledge, I was allowed into the northern part of the town to fight some ChuChus as I made my way into a cave and some puzzles. The first puzzle asked me to write on a sign the number of palm trees on the beach (spoiler: 7) before I was allowed access into the next room. The rest of the rooms followed a similar pattern: a few enemies, a few puzzles that involved doing things in the right order, and key-collecting. Very Zelda.

But, as standardly Zelda as it sounds, I must stress this fact-- I can't remember the last time I had so much fun just making a character walk in a game. Directing Link around with the stylus is a lot like movement in Animal Crossing, but faster; it turns out, the speed makes all the difference. Simple activities like pushing and pulling blocks and doing basic attacks are not only novel, but are enjoyable independent of their novelty. And while the controls aren't based on simulating real motions as they tend to be in Twilight Princess (because swinging a sword is rarely like drawing a line), they are much more intuitive and much more natural. If you've become tired of the Zelda formula, or if you just like action-adventure games, or games, consider Zelda: Phantom Hourglass. It manages to be instantly familiar as Zelda while being startlingly fresh.

DCEmu Regular

Phantom Hourglass is horrible. The control scheme completly ruined it.

Thank God I have an R4 and have D-Pad patched the rom Seriously, I hope their is an option in the english version to change the control scheme because the stylus freaking sucks.

DCEmu Newbie

Funny. I thought the exact opposite. I had a ball using the stylus to get Link to chase Navi around. It was fun making him move. And the attacks are really simple to perform. The controls are excellent and you're missing out if you mess with them on some of the puzzles you have to do.

I was expecting the touch screen to ruin things but truly honestly enjoyed the dynamic. They better not mess with it before launch.

The graphics are, of course, top notch. I swear it looks like the Gamecube when zoomed out(the low res textures start showing some blocking up close, but this IS the DS we're talking about).

The soundtrack is, of course, perfect. Nu'f said.

PS: your sig is blindingly annoying. Not related to your opinion of Zelda, to each his own, but seriously. It reminds me of those stupid "YOU WIN CLICK HERE" ads and makes me want to punch a kitten in the face.

DCEmu Newbie

I have been playing around a bit with the japanese version of PH and I have really fallen in love with the way you control link... the first time I booted it up I did'nt expect much, but as I began playing the hours passed really quickly, I had soo much fun and cant wait until it hits the shelves.

DCEmu Newbie

I dont think the controls suck based on the reviews
    of the jap version

an average of 95%? I dont think bad controls would warrant it that score

Im hyped and excited! and I dont want to spoil my enjoyment with the jap version

DCEmu Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by Harshboy View Post
    Phantom Hourglass is horrible. The control scheme completly ruined it.

Thank God I have an R4 and have D-Pad patched the rom Seriously, I hope their is an option in the english version to change the control scheme because the stylus freaking sucks.
    Are you joking about that? I don't mind the stylus controls, but I would like to use the D-pad occasionally when my hand gets tired.

Thread Information