Thread: Disney: games can bring families together

Blog Entries

General games Disney: games can bring families together

Videogames can be a force for good, uniting families in a single activity, according to Disney vice president Thierry Braille.

Speaking in an exclusive interview with GamesIndustry.biz, Braille talked about the vision of the Disney brand, and that although more mature games such as Turok are published under the Touchstone label, there's still something for everybody.

"We have titles that are for a younger audience, but there are more titles, such as High School Musical that could gather the family, after the Sunday lunch maybe, and we can imagine them singing together."

"This is Disney – this inclusive way to bring the family together and have fun."

Braille went on to detail the company's development budgets, with 70 per cent spent on existing character franchises, 20 per cent on developing new characters, and 10 per cent that can go on new game areas – with the exception of sports and extreme-rated content.

"In the sports market we have our ESPN brand and an existing deal with Electronic Arts there, and for the extreme-rated area, we as a company don't want to touch these kinds of products."

He also stated his belief that Nintendo's platforms have made a "very beneficial contribution" to the games industry, and that rising development costs can in fact be a good thing for consumers, because it focuses publishers on producing games "of the highest quality."

via gibiz

ya know, I actually agree with this, to an extent.
    I do think about how there are so many games that teach how to be violent, and teach how to make war, but how many games teach how to make peace?
    Sure, we can all steal cars, but I think there aught to be a game that teaches kids how to interact well with others.

a game that can teach you to cook, ya know?
    there are so many great games that haven't yet been made, that don't have to involve blood.

has anyone else shared that view?

I think interacting with other kids would teach them how to interact with other kids better than any game.

Disney, the family friendly evil corporation.

Disney should only be in kingdom hearts nothing else

My family- that includes my siblings and parents- would all play Nintendo 64 like crazy.

...They call High School Musical a high quality game? I fear for the future of gaming... (I have tried it and I must say it's still horrible)

Plus gaming is good for doing things you can never do, I interact with people peacfully all the time, I never go around using a chainsaw to chop off their legs though.

DCEmu Newbie

no more chat chat,
    just push the button,
    or text message to all your kids.

Thread Information