After a generation stuck in last place, PlayStation UK has never been in a better place to reclaim the No.1 spot from rival Xbox.

MCV speaks to sales director Alex Coultate, marketing boss Murray Pannell and managing director Fergal Gara on the launch of PlayStation 4
Eight years ago, PlayStation was the biggest brand in games thanks to PS2. Fast-forward eight years and it limped in last place. What went wrong? How are you fixing that with PS4?
Fergal Gara, UK MD: The two fundamental points that were against PS3 was price and coming out late. With PS4, addressing both of those points were of the highest priority and they have been successfully addressed. To come out £75 below the PS3 launch price several years later with inflation and everything is a hell of an achievement. To make it to market at the right time from a competitive point of view is a huge start. That puts us in a dramatically stronger competitive position.
But I think you’re probably touching on manner and style. Certainly as the UK team, the way we go to market, we’re definitely making a huge effort to be partners with those we work with, to listen and to respond. It’s not all ‘my way or the highway’ – but it’s ‘let’s collaborate, be partners, find a way, solve problems, find solutions and be on the front foot dragging the business forward together, that’s the kind of attitude we aim to have.
David Wilson, Head of PR: There’s been a few departures from the norm. Normally we announce in Japan so announcing the PS4 in New York was pretty radical. With the West and development leading it rather than engineering with our Japanese organisation, that has given PS4 quite a different impetus and flavour.
The other thing I should note from my perspective is the huge depth of warmth for the brand. The PlayStation memories thing was amazingly revolutionary. There’s such warmth for the heritage and that’s been almost like another side to the equation.
Gara: There’s a definite sense that gamers are welcoming us back. Whether you look at the views on the ‘Since ‘95’ YouTube video, the spontaneous PlayStation Memories reaction or our pre-order data, there’s a real sense that we have found our focus and people believe we’re walking the talk.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/count...fourth/0124911