Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Killzone dev: Blu-ray is for games - not movies

ps3 Killzone dev: Blu-ray is for games - not movies

via Computer and Video Games

Guerrilla managing director Herman Hulst and Killzone 2 producer Steven Ter Heide have had a good old fashioned pop at rival machines' capabilities in an interview with Official PlayStation Magazine UK.

Speaking about working on a game for a single platform instead of going down that multi-platform route, Guerrilla managing director Merman Hulst, said, "It's a huge benefit. If you're developing a game on multiple platforms there are restrictions you always have to take into consideration.

"We are taking huge advantage of the architecture of PS3. I firmly believe that what we've shown we can get out of that machine would be difficult, if not impossible, to deliver on a competing machine." If that isn't intended as a a knockout blow to the chops of 360 we don't know what is.

Killzone 2 producer Steven Ter Heide added, "I would say impossible. We literally can't do this stuff on any machine other than the PS3. If you're developing a multiplatform game, and looking at your budgets, you have to find a common denominator between the systems and say: that's what I'm developing for. Whereas someone focused on a single platform can really take advantage of everything it has to offer.

"If you're not willing to make that investment then you're going to lose out on some options. To make it simple, the Xbox 360 doesn't have SixAxis or Blu-ray. PlayStation 3 does. And for us that's a really big thing. The level you've just seen is 2GB. We really need Blu-ray to make the game. I don't know how you could fit it on Xbox 360 without taking some shortcuts."

And that's not the first time 360's DVD format has been called into question.

Hulst continued, "Blu-ray isn't important for watching movies; we need it for making games." You can check out the full interview in the latest issues of Official PlayStation Magazine UK, on sale now.

DCEmu Rookie

Hmmm some truth in there i think. I await ms reponse though.

Saying Bluray is for games but not movies is kinda contradictory in my view. Unless am missing something. Surely, movies would get bigger in terms of content - dirtectors cut, different angle, more behind the scene etc...

haha why doesnt the xbox 360 just use the hd-dvd attachement to play games then these lot can just shut the **** up and btw killzone is a fps so you can always use more than one dual layer dvd to fit it on it didnt make one spot of difference to re4 for gamecube

DCEmu Rookie

Even if they use HD-dvd, it would highlight ms lack of foresight imo. Beside, it may mean rebuilding the 360? Am not sure if the game would run off a usb....

DCEmu Legend

Quote Originally Posted by mcdougall57 View Post
    haha why doesnt the xbox 360 just use the hd-dvd attachement to play games then these lot can just shut the **** up and btw killzone is a fps so you can always use more than one dual layer dvd to fit it on it didnt make one spot of difference to re4 for gamecube
    Because it doesn't. Personally, I don't understand why MS didn't make it needed for games. God knows the format war would have gone on for the next decade had they done it. But they didn't.

And even then, some games on blu-ray still wouldn't be enough on HD-DVD. Dual layer HD-DVDs can only hold 30gbs. MGS4 wouldn't be possible on HD-DVD (since Kojima has said it uses 50gbs).

Quote Originally Posted by F9zDark View Post
    Because it doesn't. Personally, I don't understand why MS didn't make it needed for games. God knows the format war would have gone on for the next decade had they done it. But they didn't.

And even then, some games on blu-ray still wouldn't be enough on HD-DVD. Dual layer HD-DVDs can only hold 30gbs. MGS4 wouldn't be possible on HD-DVD (since Kojima has said it uses 50gbs).
    Filesystems are diffrent, a file on PS3 may be smaller on a 360. Plus these kinds of conversions could easily make things possible.

the format war still hasnt been decided on lol a next gen game doesnt need 10x the space of a dvd to fit the game on any one who claims this is a lazy programmer and besides do you know how many man hours it would take to generate 50 gigs of data, longer that a 4-year development period

Quote Originally Posted by ElRazur View Post
    Hmmm some truth in there i think. I await ms reponse though.

Saying Bluray is for games but not movies is kinda contradictory in my view. Unless am missing something. Surely, movies would get bigger in terms of content - dirtectors cut, different angle, more behind the scene etc...
    yes you are correct, a movie with a resolution of 1920x1080 at 25fps uses much more data than a game

DCEmu Legend

Quote Originally Posted by mcdougall57 View Post
    the format war still hasnt been decided on lol a next gen game doesnt need 10x the space of a dvd to fit the game on any one who claims this is a lazy programmer and besides do you know how many man hours it would take to generate 50 gigs of data, longer that a 4-year development period
    You're right it hasn't been decided definitively, but HD-DVD has been losing since the PS3 launched. Paramount moving to HD-DVD was a minor victory on the HD-DVD camp's part, but I'd like to know just who fronted the 150 million dollars for Paramount to go HD-DVD?

I just hope this format war dies soon. Competition is good for consumers but format wars have NEVER helped consumers.

People say Beta Max was a total failure and while it did fail because the industry didn't support it, it was VASTLY superior to VHS...

You're right it hasn't been decided definitively, but HD-DVD has been losing since the PS3 launched. Paramount moving to HD-DVD was a minor victory on the HD-DVD camp's part, but I'd like to know just who fronted the 150 million dollars for Paramount to go HD-DVD?

I just hope this format war dies soon. Competition is good for consumers but format wars have NEVER helped consumers.

People say Beta Max was a total failure and while it did fail because the industry didn't support it, it was VASTLY superior to VHS...
    yeah because ps3 is da best and it makes every thing else look like crap. everybody is losing since the ps3 came out because its da best thing everrr!

DCEmu Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by PS3Fanboy View Post
    yeah because ps3 is da best and it makes every thing else look like crap. everybody is losing since the ps3 came out because its da best thing everrr!
    How old are you?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information