Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Details on the "Killer " Handheld

Yup, this sounds like something that's worth importing. Can't wait to get my hands on one. Gets me one step away from taking over the worl....I mean from awesome homebrew...yeah that what I meant.

DCEmu Rookie

hey, I'm a bit excited for this... but one thing I find a bit upsetting -
    Know what else is 300 bucks? a REALLY decent laptop.
    Look into the eeePC. I mean, handhelds are great, and the psp is awesome for emulation... so building on that would be cool, but why, when the system costs as much as a small computer that can do all that, AND browse the internet with a full REAL keyboard, and you know... do everything a computer can?

This handheld might be a homebrew dream, but why not just get a laptop, at that price? The only reason I picked up my 2 psps is because they were "broken"ish and it was an easy fix. about 50 bucks for the two - and 150 new for the slim isn't bad, for how powerful it is.

I guess it's a matter of budget, and I may get one anyway. But it seems silly, when it's nearing the price of true computers.

I feel like I'm rambling and can't get my point across. Anyone see what I'm getting at?

DCEmu Coder

Quote Originally Posted by punkonjunk View Post
    hey, I'm a bit excited for this... but one thing I find a bit upsetting -
    Know what else is 300 bucks? a REALLY decent laptop.
    Look into the eeePC. I mean, handhelds are great, and the psp is awesome for emulation... so building on that would be cool, but why, when the system costs as much as a small computer that can do all that, AND browse the internet with a full REAL keyboard, and you know... do everything a computer can?

This handheld might be a homebrew dream, but why not just get a laptop, at that price? The only reason I picked up my 2 psps is because they were "broken"ish and it was an easy fix. about 50 bucks for the two - and 150 new for the slim isn't bad, for how powerful it is.

I guess it's a matter of budget, and I may get one anyway. But it seems silly, when it's nearing the price of true computers.

I feel like I'm rambling and can't get my point across. Anyone see what I'm getting at?
    Yes, I see eee coming up, suddenly people think that $300 is the standard for a new laptop before it's even out.

I'll give you three big reasons right off the top of my head:

- not nearly as portable (ie, no way you're carrying this in your pocket, even a coat pocket, so you can't just easily lug it with you anywhere)
    - battery life will probably be signifcantly worse
    - won't have controls that are good for emulating consoles, you know, dpad + game buttons

Besides that, this device will be able to browse the internet, will have a real keyboard (obviously not a full sized one but a real one nonetheless), and a touchscreen which eee will definitely NOT have.

And if the OMAP3430 is chosen the 3D acceleration (PowerVR SGX) will be more sophisticated than what the Intel GMA900 offers.
    http://gpsp-dev.blogspot.com/

I haven't quit gpSP, just put it on hiatus for a while.

Games like Super Mario Advance 3, Riviera and Sword of Mana actually DO work in gpSP, believe it or not. If they don't work for you then you're using the faulty BIOS. Don't argue with me, it's true; the sooner you accept this the sooner you can move on.

I heard this powerful handheld will put the PSP in the homebrew cementery with the original PlayStation

DCEmu Newbie

First time hearing of this... its going to be released in days? and where is everyone getting more news on this? It seems like such a rumor.

Does it have infrared too?

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by manaox2 View Post
    First time hearing of this... its going to be released in days? and where is everyone getting more news on this? It seems like such a rumor.

Does it have infrared too?
    not released in days rather months
    we are getting all the news of console at gp32x forums
    and no it is not a rumor

i just did sumit some news of the latest
    Development of the console if you like to learn more
    you shuthe read it

thanks on the details of how big it is captn1x im still gona get it tho i just thought it was gona be smaller but w/es i hope it has a good writing program so i can take notes with the stylus cuz i write faster than i type.

Ive seen it in their website. The gp2x F200 series, with the touchscreen interface, and newer cpu, but the size, WTF, its so huge, yet the screen is so tiny compared to the PSP widescreen. Well i will gonna buy a laptop instead of this.

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by kryst abegnalie View Post
    Ive seen it in their website. The gp2x F200 series, with the touchscreen interface, and newer cpu, but the size, WTF, its so huge, yet the screen is so tiny compared to the PSP widescreen. Well i will gonna buy a laptop instead of this.
    the killer handheld is not gp2x F200
    it is this
    http://craiginator.bluwiki.com/
    and
    you may like to look at this forums
    http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=167

and
    gp32x.com

DCEmu Newbie

just posting this for peobole that donīt read gp32x forums craigix posted this
    We *may* have some videos soon of stuff running on the new machine, when I say soon I mean maybe next month.

As for the price vs. power just read the massive thread. It was well established what people wanted there. For $200 you are *NOT* going to get a next gen handheld. It's just the nature of the technology.

What you will get for around $320 is the rolls royce of handhelds. It will be like the Amiga was when it showed up back in the 80's and should go on for several years.

$320 might be a lot... but what price was the PSP + a few games when it was launched?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information