Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: UMD a waste of time and money, says Perry

psp UMD a waste of time and money, says Perry

via Games Industry

The UMD is a dead format that's a waste of money, time, and investment according to David Perry.

Speaking to GamesIndustry.biz, the Shiny founder and operator of GameConsultants.com revealed what he would do if he were in charge of PlayStation Portable development.

"They really need to restart the PSP programme in my book. They really need to bring out the PSP 3.0 and start again and try to get a lot of units out by reducing the manufacturing costs, by taking out all the motors and drives and stuff they have in there."

"That will make it even more sexy-looking, because it will be thinner again when they get all that junk out. Then, hopefully, the platform will actually get enough interest so that people will make a game specifically for it," Perry said.

He referred to the recent PSP Slim and Lite remodel as a "head in the sand" move.

As for what current PSP owners will do with their UMDs if Sony turns to a download-only handheld, Perry said that it would be fairly trivial to include software to validate that a user owns a certain game, much like iTunes. With authentication, users should be allowed to download digital versions of UMD games they already own.

When questioned as to why Sony hadn't already done this, Perry responded: "The truth is, the stores will not carry PSPs unless they feel they are going to get a piece of the action on the back end. And Sony has not come up with an innovative business model that can support that concept."

But with the industry moving in the direction of digital downloads, Sony needs to come up with a shared revenue system eventually.

"Maybe its an even slightly better deal because there is no cost of goods, and shipping, insurance, and warehousing is all out the window...so maybe the store gets a little bit more. And they get more of their shelf space back, which is their most valuable asset."

The complete interview with Dave Perry will be published tomorrow on GamesIndustry.biz

I dont think UMD's are a waste of time, maybe his face is, but Sony has really done a bad job marketing UMd's freaking 25 dollars for a umd vid that doesnt have all the features of the regular dvd? yeah not good. oh well though thats sony

Maddox said it best in his blog:

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse....=sony_bull$#@!

That would be a brilliant idea all my umd's have broke i back them all up and never take them anywhere, in fact prob couldnt tell you where half of them are.

psp should be download only perhaps games would be cheaper!

The last time I used a UMD was to downgrade my PSP and that was 3 months ago , sais alot about how I feel about UMD's

DCEmu Newbie

Default No they arent

I don't really think UMD's are waste of money and resources not all. Surely it adds to the loading time, but think about it, not everyone has a massive 2 GB memory stick. Furthermore, I don't think anyone will be happy to have to copy a 1GB game to memory stick each time he/she wants to play them a different title. THAT would definitelly be a waste of time.
    And there is also piracy. At least UMD is a physical proof that you have purchased the game.

In my opinion, UMD is what makes the psp... the psp. It makes it sexy, being able to put that little disc in my psp and run it as if it was a "small playstation" is what makes me the happiest

my umd drive doesnt work, plus ive never owned a umd movie. so i donno

"They really need to restart the PSP programme in my book. They really need to bring out the PSP 3.0 and start again and try to get a lot of units out by reducing the manufacturing costs, by taking out all the motors and drives and stuff they have in there."
    removing motors and drives? that means officially stopping homebrew from running and no firmware updates and no internet and no music or video support. so basicly just make the PSP a game only device? that sounds like $#@!, i would rather buy something multimedia wise rather than just have it do one thing.

umds are ok im used to have discs for playing games i was nintendo ds player before so im used to use cds cart ridges

Why does everyone always piss and moan about UMD? IT'S A PORTABLE CONSOLE, EVERY PORTABLE CONSOLE HAS HAD A PROPRIETARY FORMAT! Get over it, for the love of God. No one ever says the NDS cart's are a waste of time, or the GBA carts, or, I dunno, every nintendo proprietary fromat from N64 back. People just love to jump on Sony about going out and trying new things.

I have 15 umd games and 4 umd movies. I'm perfectly happy with the format but I do believe that many companies now do not view umd's as a viable format. I also believe that piracy has played a very large part in the demise of the format.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information