Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Speculation over - the CFW Leak is Hurting Future Developments

Blog Entries

psp Speculation over - the CFW Leak is Hurting Future Developments

Brakken posted on his Tehskeen Website about the harm to the PSP Scene that the recent souce leaks have done and the fact that Sony of all people have the source to the Custom Firmwares.,

Heres the news article in full from Brakken, post your comments after reading it:

Why is it not a good idea to screw with a group of Russian Hackers? Well, for one everyone including Eskimos receiving their Internet connection from Wifi routers mounted to polar bears will find out who you are and where you live. Another reason is the fact that stealing and releasing source code for a custom firmware that Sony doesn't want running on their hardware only helps them deterrent future releases.

Sure, there was a lot of speculation that the release wouldn't assist Sony in preventing the release of future versions, but this was only speculation and was and now is proven wrong. With the code in Sony's hands they have an arsenal to combat current and future firmwares. Look at it from this perspective - Sony has all of the information they need to combat this situation as they have the code, but Team M33 and others do not have Sony's own firmware code.

Sure, Sony could use skilled professionals to break down the custom firmwares from scratch, but now they do not need to spend a lot of money and resources in reverse engineering anything and have a heads up on PSP hackers. Unlike Sony, Team M33 and others have no way to know how their firmwares are going to be attacked - Sony could fill their original firmware with so many trap doors it could take weeks, if not months for various teams to get past them which will take valuable time away from improving their own firmwares.

I'm writing this article in response to a press release Team M33 published on their website that brings up some of these points and more.

"This intrusion into one of the basis of the actual PSP Scene, has just made harm to the entire world of the PSP Scene. Therefore, Sony saw this and made some interesting changes in some modules (mainly loadcore), plus the change of some nids that are used to the development of M33 Custom Firmware."

As stated, you can clearly see that the people who think the leak of the custom firmware was a good thing for the "scene" are not only moronic, but have little to no clue of what it takes to develop a firmware. The speculation was wrong. With the firmware source code in Sony's hands it's going the Sony PSP scene is suffering.

"This changes won't probably last too long and won't be an important problem, but it's just, as we have just said, another resultant of trying to be someone on this world by stealing and leaking instead of studying."

Of course, they are speaking of Mr. Serafin and the websites Maxconsole and PS3NEWS who assisted in the leak. Too bad the people who were involved in the leak trusted Maxconsole as a trustworthy place to conduct their business at.

"... result is this delay on the development of the new versions."

Again, there is proof Team M33 won't be releasing any new firmware versions any time soon due to the leak.

So in the end this turn of events goes to solidify my point that these so called "scene" sites are not helping developments, but are only feeding off of talented developers work to promote their money hungry agendas.

Your Views via Comments

DCEmu Rookie

sorry, too much to read, so i'll just ask the question even if it's written there; Who is responsible for the leak?

This is actually bloody bad:S

Well people - this is a disgrace toward everything about CFW - I have been using custom firmwares since the beginning of Dark Alex (Only had a brick one time and just recently was able to unbrick with Pandora's Battery). I as well as ALL of you who have and use custom firmwares, owe a whole lot to these people who developed these tools. What a shame that some people have to be $#@!S about the whole thing. I am thoroughly outraged and disappointed in that people can be so crude and/or crule in this world. What a sad day this is! :-(

DCEmu Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by tvrstl View Post
    sorry, too much to read, so i'll just ask the question even if it's written there; Who is responsible for the leak?

This is actually bloody bad:S
    Of course, they are speaking of Mr. Serafin and the websites Maxconsole and PS3NEWS who assisted in the leak. Too bad the people who were involved in the leak trusted Maxconsole as a trustworthy place to conduct their business at.

Was this written by a 12 year old?

DCEmu Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by SpooForBrains View Post
    that's wot i thought. it has some merits, but just some. the rest is yammerin

DCEmu Newbie

Default in agreemant...

i have never felt more strongly about a comment in association with PSP this comment syas it all and the writer has a very good commitment to the scene and people who help keep it alive.
    To all those guys ( and girls ) who deliver all this awesome stuff keep it up !!! :thumbup:

DCEmu Coder

you see brakken used to have an unbiased site similar to dcemu, but now its a blogg he can offer an opinion, and you can't say he's wrong because its written like a good essay:

Statement
    Evidence
    Analysis
    Link back to statement in conclusion

I love the DS Scene, very rarely do we get complicatuins like this

DCEmu Newbie

These people who leaked the sources are a pile of excrement. I hope m33 and other teams dont get any more discouraged to continue work on cfw, they do a great job.

DCEmu Regular

Quote Originally Posted by SpooForBrains View Post
    What do you mean written by a 12 year old(yes i realize some of his accuzations are a bit crazy like dark alex working for diveno and people trying to get money is a bad thing but you have to in this day and age)? This was a great way to clear some things up for the idiots out there who still think maxconsole and ps3news are trusted sites. There NOT and if your there your only contributing to the problem by making there site bigger or as strong as it already is. We need to take these sites down so we can stop having these rediculous wars between ourselves. It's like in a war movie where the allies(psp homebrew scene) are always fighting so the enemy's (sony) quickly prevail because we can't sort out our problems.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information