Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HDTV Help!

Default HDTV Help!

Hey, I plan on purcasing this tv in a few days,

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1176506511625

It seems like it comes with a lot at that price point, it has a setting called game mode, it can do both 1080i and 1080p. Ill be using it for HD DVD movies, and of course playing my 360 and Dreamcast.

Does anyone here have this televesion, and can comment on it?

Kinda pointless that size just for movies maybe different if you had a PS3 with HDMI

PSN ID: splodger15

while i know nothing of that particular model other than your link, i do own a Samsung LCD 1080p TV http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/Samsung-LE40M86BD/
    and it is very high quality. With no problems and very deep blacks and general contrast

Disregard all of the effects and modes that are available they will only serve to degrade the image quality. If this is your first HDTV then you will also be more suited to slightly muted colours and low brightness. Best advice is search around avforums.com and see if there are any reviews and usually there is a thread dedicated to optimal settings for picture and sound which will greatly improve the performance of whichever TV you choose.

Quote Originally Posted by Accordion View Post
    while i know nothing of that particular model other than your link, i do own a Samsung LCD 1080p TV http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/Samsung-LE40M86BD/
    and it is very high quality. With no problems and very deep blacks and general contrast

Disregard all of the effects and modes that are available they will only serve to degrade the image quality. If this is your first HDTV then you will also be more suited to slightly muted colours and low brightness. Best advice is search around avforums.com and see if there are any reviews and usually there is a thread dedicated to optimal settings for picture and sound which will greatly improve the performance of whichever TV you choose.
    Cool, you have the same TV as me.
    Super Paper Mario looked amazing on it, as does all my PS3 games!!

Im not just going to use it for movies, but also games.

How does the tv fade out the colors? The reviews over at circuit citys page have been pretty good.

Moderator edit - Heres one: If it accepts HDMI 1.3v or what ever the latest one is, will it also accept the old ones?

Edit: I found the offical page http://www.samsung.com/ca/products/t...pt5084xxaa.asp

I love how they claim Gears of War is running on PS3.

Canada, Ruler of Patriarch of Constantinople and Vicar of the Hagia Sofia

Quote Originally Posted by Elven6 View Post
    Heres one: If it accepts HDMI 1.3v or what ever the latest one is, will it also accept the old ones?

Edit: I found the offical page http://www.samsung.com/ca/products/t...pt5084xxaa.asp

I love how they claim Gears of War is running on PS3.
    Use the edit button instead of double posting.
    Yeah, it's pretty funny when companies advertise games on consoles that are against each other

Quote Originally Posted by SnesR0X View Post
    Use the edit button instead of double posting.
    Yeah, it's pretty funny when companies advertise games on consoles that are against each other
    I didn't double post, I wrote edit to indicate I put in something new, just a habit of mine.

Canada, Ruler of Patriarch of Constantinople and Vicar of the Hagia Sofia

I didn't double post, I wrote edit to indicate I put in something new, just a habit of mine.
    Well you did actually, and then you deleted it. Don't act like a douche.

I've corrected your double posting for you Elven6. Remember, post one message at a time, use your edit button to add to it if no one has answered the post.

Anyway, that TV in the link looks quite good but the price tag is real expensive. $3,000 (£1,500 approx.) is a lot of money. Just hope it doesn't put too big a dent in your budget.

Im not just going to use it for movies, but also games.

How does the tv fade out the colors? The reviews over at circuit citys page have been pretty good.

Moderator edit - Heres one: If it accepts HDMI 1.3v or what ever the latest one is, will it also accept the old ones?

I meant that if you are used to watching a CRT or SD picture your eyes will be more comfortable with a less saturated picture.
    If that is the case, when you unpack the TV and first test it out it will look horrendous.
    Be prepared for extensive calibration for optimal image quality on any screen you choose, the stock settings are for colour testing not real world use.
    a few examples :

stock settings-
    sharpness: 80
    Backlight: 8
    DNie: ON

My settings-
    sharpness: 40
    backlight: 4
    DNie: OFF
    As i mentioned before most of the features are post processing effects which distort the source usually producing unnatural results.

Also take into account response time, warm up speed, and somewhat important is the placement of the speakers. While not bad quality, the downwards orientation isn't ideal.

HDMI 1.3 is a the higher bandwidth latest standard for HDMI, fully backwards compatible, but offers increased image and sound fidelity from a HDMI 1.3 source [PS3 and other recent media players, through a 1.3 cable].

avforums.com will have all the advice you need.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information