Thread: A program to check your network to see if anyone is downloading with it?

DCEmu Old Pro

Default A program to check your network to see if anyone is downloading with it?

Anyhooo the title says it all, but ill explain the situation and why i probably want it

see my network is always slowed by people downloading, much is siblings and stuff but when you do try to see if they are downloading, the just close whatever their doing and go "im not downloading!" it drives me nuts and thats the problem

also, i think people also use my network to download to i dunno

anyway, my router just tells me what ip.adresses have connected to my router and thats it, it doesnt tell me if they are downloading or something it just shows me a history of who connected (which isnt useful)

SO, in my utter desperation to find out the **** is downloading on my network and catch them red handed i need a program that just shows you who is connected to your network, and can tell if the person is using up a whole lotta bandwith of the damn internetz

thanks for ANYONE that can help me with this! :thumbup:

So let me get this straight. Someone is connecting to your router wirelesly and downloading $#@! and slowing down your connecting?

If you can get thier ip address, cant you report it to thier isp?

If your suspect if doing the crime on your computer, install a spycatcher. It will record everything.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tetris999 View Post
    Anyhooo the title says it all, but ill explain the situation and why i probably want it

see my network is always slowed by people downloading, much is siblings and stuff but when you do try to see if they are downloading, the just close whatever their doing and go "im not downloading!" it drives me nuts and thats the problem

also, i think people also use my network to download to i dunno

anyway, my router just tells me what ip.adresses have connected to my router and thats it, it doesnt tell me if they are downloading or something it just shows me a history of who connected (which isnt useful)

SO, in my utter desperation to find out the **** is downloading on my network and catch them red handed i need a program that just shows you who is connected to your network, and can tell if the person is using up a whole lotta bandwith of the damn internetz

thanks for ANYONE that can help me with this! :thumbup:
    Have you heard of a WEP key encryption? Use it!

DCEmu Old Pro

if you read it also applies to people who are supposed to be on my network

also i need to check if MY OWN computer is downloading stuff without me knowing

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tetris999 View Post
    if you read it also applies to people who are supposed to be on my network

also i need to check if MY OWN computer is downloading stuff without me knowing
    Your computer will only download Microsoft related stuff without you knowing it, or stuff from web pages which goes to your TEMP folder for however many days it is until you delete it or when it auto deletes.

DCEmu Coder

To see what network connections are open on a Windows computer you can use netstat. If it's someone using your router without your permission then you need to either start using some form of WEP/WPA and change the password.

If you want to see everything that travels over the air you can use Wireshark (http://www.wireshark.org/) if your wireless card is supported.

Dream Coder

You could also try to find a program called Iris. It's a network traffic snoop and captures and interprets all data passing through your computer (which includes much more than just what goes to you). It has a steep learning curve though, and is fairly difficult to interpret anything it shows.

Thread Information