Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Im moving to the UK, Help!

Home/News Im moving to the UK, Help!

Hi, the wife and I are thinking of taking the plunge, but we are just working class folks. There won't be any companies moving us, neither of our companies (although both are in the fortune 500) seem to have stores over in the UK.

Personally, I make a very reasonable sustenance by being a professional salesperson. I am a bit worried that cultural differences will make me much less effective as such over there, at least for a while... Id like to know your take on this. I am from the deep south, by geographical location, but neither the wife nor I have ever fit into its social morays. Football, beer, and racing reign supreme here, with cultural influence being as close as the next action flick at a movie theatre. My wife is in a sub grade managerial position, also at a retail outlet. A bit worried about the skill sets transfer there too... Do you think we would be able to find a similar job or something enough to afford to live successfully in the UK with 2 incomes? I don't necessarily want to own property like I do over here, I think renting would be fine.... I quite often see even in modern British television shows the existence of small Mom and Pop stores, frequently with one or two employees minding the store, do these really still exist? All local stores have all but been wiped out here, and if you did get a job at one you wouldn't be able to afford even a horrid rat infested apartment.

I figured maybe some of you are in our age demographic, 25-28. Any thoughts or experiences you have on the lower middle class life equivalent of living over there would be appreciated. Or anyone else you might recommend we speak with....

Thanks a ton, (metric or otherwise)

Scott and Lacey

Since living in the UK my whole life I have always wanted to get away from it but then thats everyone to there own opinions about it. London is where the jobs are but then the house prices are huge. You could always commute to London Via train as house prices are cheaper out of the London borough

PSN ID: splodger15

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tonythekitty View Post
    Hi, the wife and I are thinking of taking the plunge, but we are just working class folks. There won't be any companies moving us, neither of our companies (although both are in the fortune 500) seem to have stores over in the UK.

Personally, I make a very reasonable sustenance by being a professional salesperson. I am a bit worried that cultural differences will make me much less effective as such over there, at least for a while... Id like to know your take on this. I am from the deep south, by geographical location, but neither the wife nor I have ever fit into its social morays. Football, beer, and racing reign supreme here, with cultural influence being as close as the next action flick at a movie theatre. My wife is in a sub grade managerial position, also at a retail outlet. A bit worried about the skill sets transfer there too... Do you think we would be able to find a similar job or something enough to afford to live successfully in the UK with 2 incomes? I don't necessarily want to own property like I do over here, I think renting would be fine.... I quite often see even in modern British television shows the existence of small Mom and Pop stores, frequently with one or two employees minding the store, do these really still exist? All local stores have all but been wiped out here, and if you did get a job at one you wouldn't be able to afford even a horrid rat infested apartment.

I figured maybe some of you are in our age demographic, 25-28. Any thoughts or experiences you have on the lower middle class life equivalent of living over there would be appreciated. Or anyone else you might recommend we speak with....

Thanks a ton, (metric or otherwise)

Scott and Lacey
    Wow, you have no idea whatsoever about the UK. What you've see on the T.V. is very stereotypical, as not everyone is into football and beer and there are no mom pop (mum dad) stores (shops).

I suggest that if you want to live anywhere in the UK and have a better home for less if your worried about earning a lower income, that you live anywhere in the Midlands or West Yorkshire (only the West if you choose Yorkshire thou as the other places aren't as good).

Good luck when you come to the UK thou!

Come to Scotland. It is great.

Why don't you move to Germany? Munich is the best city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by JKKDARK View Post
    Why don't you move to Germany? Munich is the best city in the world.
    Disney Land is better...

Just move over, If you are of reasonable intelligence, then you will have no bother impressing the guys and gals that count, as most Britons are complete morons. They may have a fancy accent, buts it's only skin of the tooth deep. Under that, there isn't much.

:P

Thats mean of course I dont't mean that!

bull, x.

Umm, Vampdude, you will notice if you read carefully that I am actually COMPLAINING about football and beer, here, not there. And I mean our football, not yours. Both of which I have to admit Im not really into either, but especially not american football.

Also, I was ASKINg if there are still mom and pop stores for real, because there certainly are none in the US. They have all been murdered here in the states.

Yes, all I know about Brittain I learned from TV and literature.....how else do you expect anyone from the US to know anything about you guys? However if any stereotypes can be trusted then I think we would get along better there. I am not speaking of intelligence, but personality. I have been told by other people that folks in the good old UK are more likely to solve their problems in work and life by talking them out rather than fighting and screaming. Is this true? I rather hope so.

Thanks for the tips on locales in which to relocate.

Quote Originally Posted by VampDude View Post
    Wow, you have no idea whatsoever about the UK. What you've see on the T.V. is very stereotypical, as not everyone is into football and beer and there are no mom pop (mum dad) stores (shops).

I suggest that if you want to live anywhere in the UK and have a better home for less if your worried about earning a lower income, that you live anywhere in the Midlands or West Yorkshire (only the West if you choose Yorkshire thou as the other places aren't as good).

Good luck when you come to the UK thou!

Quote Originally Posted by bullhead View Post
    Disney Land is better...

Just move over, If you are of reasonable intelligence, then you will have no bother impressing the guys and gals that count, as most Britons are complete morons. They may have a fancy accent, buts it's only skin of the tooth deep. Under that, there isn't much.
    I wish I could but unless the laws have changed it is illegal to job hunt on a tourist visa and it will be mighty hard for us to convince people to sponser us for work visas without any face time or companies backing us.

Any thoughts?

That is a thought, you guys speak english too....mostly. Do you know if it is easier to gain Scottish citizenship or a work visa than it is for the UK, or is everything that falls under the European Union going to be pretty much the same degree of impossible to move to?

Seems like the laws really want to keep us crazy yanks out of the country permanantly.

Why in the world would you want to move to the UK. If you want some change so bad why not move to a different part of the states. May I suggest the Pacific Northwest, its a really great place to live.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information