Microsoft is working on a big Xbox One update to address user criticisms and complaints over Live, according to Marc Whitten. The Xbox Corporate VP told our Engadget chums that "the Live experience" - which isn't a Saturday night TV show - is something the company intends to "really push on."

"The feedback we've gotten is pretty valid," Whitten told Engadget. "Some of the social stuff is hidden or harder to use than it was on the Xbox 360. So you're gonna see us come out with an update where, well, we're going to fix those things.

"As a person who's been pretty involved in building Xbox Live for the last decade, I take it pretty seriously when people say it's harder to get into a party, and the defaults aren't right, and I don't like the model. So what I'm trying to do with the team is kind of theme some stuff up. Let's take an update and really go through a big list of what we're hearing from customers, what we know is broken with the architecture, areas that we want to improve or complete."

So, when will see that update? Whitten didn't exactly say, although Engadget notes that based on its chat, "it sounds like those Live fixes are coming sooner [rather] than later."

Another element's in the works is game stream broadcasting, which last we heard was targeted for "the first part of 2014." Don't expect that anytime too soon, though. Whitten's vagaries to Engadget suggest we'll see it before the next E3, while a more clear-cut Twitch tweet says, "There's no ETA from Microsoft. Expect a few more months."

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/01/09/ma...-says-whitten/