Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will October Claim Another Major Online Store ?

Blog Entries

General games Will October Claim Another Major Online Store ?

Im sure most of you who are big gaming fans will know that last October at this very time of the year Lik Sang a vastly popular online store and big supporter of the Homebrew community was closed down. Due to many Sony lawsuits.

Fast forward a year and Divineo who somehow got past a 9 Million Dollar fine in the USA have now been raided and assets frozen. Does this spell the end of Divineo and its stores which also include the Maxthingy website.

To lose a big site who sell flash carts and modchips that are used for homebrew means that the pirates have again spoiled it for the rest of us.

Is it time for hackers and emulation fans to leave these consoles behind and concentrate on consoles that embrace homebrew ?

Discuss Via Comments

For me, PC and 360 have stolen my heart, which it has been like since I got Quake 4 early '06. I've never had a game console last me this long with almost no days gone without playing it. I'd say we should live on the consoles for at least a while. With 360, thats so easy you hardly have to move.

I've spent my childhood money importing from Lik Sang. Every Christmas I had a fed ex box underneath my tree, with a something I desired that I could never find anywhere else, it even came with free stickers and figurines. I loved Lik Sang.

Shutting these places down do not fight piracy. I'm not defending them either. I don't believe I know too many people who buy mod-chips to homebrew. The market is aimed at pirates, no one can deny that. I don't think we will ever leave our console roots, each company release dev kits for programmers like us, no need to mod a 360 or PS3 for that. I think sooner or later Sony will thank Dark_Alex for all the work he has done and credit him as well. Some day.

::edit:: I apologize if it seems I'm attacking divineo, I support the site. I just can't see these raids getting smaller and smaller. Something should be done about piracy, its not crack, but it affects tons of people. Like crack! Also because I realize its part of DCEMU revenue, I see th ads. I don't want to see DCEMU dissappear either.

DCEmu Rookie

Do what you want cos a pirate is free
    You are a pirate
    Yarr Harr fiddle dee dee
    Being a pirate is alright to be
    Do what you want cos a pirate is free
    You are a pirate.....

my opinions: yes, coders should ditch the consoles who dont support homebrew and embrace the ones that do. I mean what's not to like? The consoles embrace homebrew, any type, and its a cheaper, console for people like me, who are in college and strapped for cash, its a win win situation!!

DCEmu Newbie

I don't think it will affect the other parts of Divineo since the raids supposedly only happened in china. Also the US store doesn't sell any modchip stuff. I think only a few of their online stores actually sell that kind of thing. If anything they might just have to stop selling the modchips/flashcarts.

Also I don't really see as this will have any affect on the "maxthingie" website since it doesn't sell anything at all it's a totally separate entity.

Lastly what's with all the "M website" and "Maxthingie" stuff? Aren't we all mature enough that we can just say the name of the website. I mean come on I think all of us here are above all this petty bickering and name calling, aren't we?

DCEmu Regular

Divineo is a thief. Close 'em.

DCEmu Rookie

Anyone who actually thinks this is a reasonable antipiracy measure would surely agree with me then when I say that companies producing and selling VCRs and DVD burners should be raided and have their goods confiscated and assets frozen.

Edit: Actually, I need to add to this. Regular DVD players should also be added to the list, since they can be used to play pirated copies of Hollywood movies.

Thing is there are a few homebrew consoles around but not many people willing to pay for a handheld just for homebrew,most people would play an iso rather than buy the game why will they buy a homebrew enabled console and a psp? i mean you could have both in one and not pay for psp games.

Its bad but most people would think like that

Eh, Sony and it's corporate greed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information