Thread: bye bye wireless?

Exclamation bye bye wireless?

Sony is claiming that putting wireless connections and such in the PS3 will cost too much for them, and gamers, but mostly for them... there is a high possibility we wont be seeing the wi-fi/bluetooth in the PS3... this leaves me wondering if the psp is going to be able to link with it, or if we'll need a USB cord.... i don't fully know if we should say bye bye to the xbox style (wireless) multiplayer, between multiple PS3 systems.... its up to you, and Sony...

V Comments/Questions go here V

well, they might get rid of WiFi for PS3 for all i know, but i think they're planning to link up the psp to ps3 via IR instead of WiFi, they alrdy got a port on the psp for IR(to the left of the usb port if the umd release mechanism is to the right) that has alrdy been taken advantage of as a remote for some sony tv's and the slim ps2, and can even be used as a controller from what i hear

NGPSP Author

Quote Originally Posted by PSP_Newbie
    well, they might get rid of WiFi for PS3 for all i know, but i think they're planning to link up the psp to ps3 via IR instead of WiFi, they alrdy got a port on the psp for IR(to the left of the usb port if the umd release mechanism is to the right) that has alrdy been taken advantage of as a remote for some sony tv's and the slim ps2, and can even be used as a controller from what i hear
    Hahahaha. No. irda technology is too old and ungodly slow. There is no way ps3 & psp will comunicate via irda / ir.

I really dout sony will yank wifi. The technology is not that expensive and getting cheaper as the days go on. If the PSP could afford it, I dout the ps3 can't.

I do personaly see there is no huge benifit to keep bluetooth. So that I could see going bye bye.

Quote Originally Posted by nexis2600
    Hahahaha. No. irda technology is too old and ungodly slow. There is no way ps3 & psp will comunicate via irda / ir.

I really dout sony will yank wifi. The technology is not that expensive and getting cheaper as the days go on. If the PSP could afford it, I dout the ps3 can't.

I do personaly see there is no huge benifit to keep bluetooth. So that I could see going bye bye.
    we discussed this before... speed wasnt too bad from what I found out of my quick google glance (like 4mbps) The problem is the reaction time between transmitions - pretty slow.

so nexis is right... you cant really use the ir port for anything like that...

Thread Information