Thread: 5.6 earthquake hits near Alum Rock

Post 5.6 earthquake hits near Alum Rock

News Via MercuryNews
    A 5.6 magniture earthquake centered near Alum Rock in San Jose struck at 8:04 tonight.

The quake, with an epicenter five miles northeast of Alum Rock, was felt across the Bay Area. Ten aftershocks with magnitudes of 1.3 to 1.8 were reported by 8:45 p.m.

There were no immediate reports of major damage, though there were reports of cellular and landline telephone service failing in some areas.

On the north end of San Jose's downtown, shaken residents poured out of apartments, condos and homes to survey the damage. Luckily it was minor.

The quake shook a metal garabage can into a car parked on the street and at 350 North 2nd a water pipe broke, streaming water into the parking garage of a condo building.

"At first I

(Karl Kahler / Mercury News)
    thought it was a train," said David Eaton, who lives in the building. "But it went on way too long. And then I heard things starting to fall and I knew it wasn't the train."

Although it was Eaton's first big earthquake, he was prepared. He stood outside of his building with his two dogs, carrying a flashlight and other emergency equipment.

"This building is only two years old but it really shook," he said.

Down the street near a VTA bus stop driver Christopher Archuleta stood outside of his line 23 bus with a big smile.

"That was fun," he said shaking his head.

He had been driving when the steering wheel started to shake and then bus started to sway.

Two of his passengers told him it was their first
    Advertisement

earthquake. He said the girls seemed nervous and were unable to get their AT&T cellular phone to work, but were able to borrow another passenger's cell phone to let their friends know they were OK.

In Cupertino, Vishram Dalvi said that his "entire house shook, pictures swayed, a few things fell off. We ran downstairs with the children but everything stopped. I am worried with what they say about the big one being long overdue now- was it every 140 years?"

In Palo Alto, one resident described the earthquake as feeling as if a "big rolling freight train just went through my backyard."

Within minutes, fire stations in Palo Alto reported in to the dispatch center that there was no damage to their stations.

Blog Entries

Who here thinks CA is gonna fall off the U.S.? Its just gonna rip at the fault and fall off.

Quote Originally Posted by ICE View Post
    Who here thinks CA is gonna fall off the U.S.? Its just gonna rip at the fault and fall off.
    I don't know, I would say its possible, as the land we live on are literally like tall mountains, They expand at their base. Yet with the fault lines pushing together as they do.
    It would be like two incredible forces being pushed into each other. Something will have to break away and give at some point I would imagine.

Thread Information