via Games Industry

Microsoft has again warned Xbox 360 users not to share Live account information with other player's online.

Some users share accounts in order to have other players boost their Gamerscore and unlock difficult Achievements, but if shared accounts begin taking advantage of paid content and registered credit cards, they are breaking the Xbox Live Terms of Use.

"I have mentioned this a couple of times on my podcasts, but I want to make sure those that don't listen to the show get the message. Specifically, don't share your account information," writes Larry Hryb, Xbox Live director of programming on the Gamerscore blog.

"If you run into that person in Halo 3 who claims if they could have your Live ID name and password to recover your Xbox Live account to their Xbox and they'll rank you up or find you all the hidden skulls in Halo 3, I urge you not to fall to temptation.

"If that 'friend' of yours decides not return your account and buys a bunch of Arcade titles and movies on your account, there is nothing we can do except cancel the account since you willingly shared your information," he warned.

And any tampering of 360 Gamerscores or Achievements by "nefarious" means is likely to result in harsh penalties – accounts can be cancelled, Gamerscores removed, and consoles banned from the popular online service.

"If you decide to employ some nefarious techniques to artificially increase your Gamerscore or obtain achievements by manipulating the Xbox software without playing the game, bad things will happen," continued Hryb.

"If you use tampered gamesaves to boost your Achievements and Gamerscore, you may sign in to Xbox Live one day and discover that we have removed your Gamerscore. Once we do that, you will never be able to re-earn those achievements on that account. Even worse, you might have your account and/or console banned from Xbox Live."