Thread: Microsoft hopes for longer Xbox 360 shelf life

xbox 360 Microsoft hopes for longer Xbox 360 shelf life

via Games Industry

Microsoft has said that it hopes the shelf life for its Xbox 360 will be longer than five years – the lifespan traditionally associated with a home console.

The console manufacturer dropped support for the original Xbox once it had released its successor in late 2005 – only four years after the launch of the original machine.

Speaking at a BMO Capital Markets conference, Mindy Mount pointed to the success of Sony's PlayStation 2, a machine entering its eighth year on the market.

"Look at the PS2; they've gone long-time and seem to have pretty good legs on what they are doing," said the chief financial officer.

"It we were able to do that, as a CFO I think that's great, because every year you draw it out you increase profitability," reports Reuters.

It should be alive even if Microsoft launch a new console. I don't like to see how the Xbox ended.

The original xbox ended because of a dispute with Nvidia, but many people still say it was them being greedy. I would post the link, but this was making headlines back when the 360 had lauched, so its going to be pretty hard to find.

Thread Information