Thread: pokeyDS : Emulator Atari 800XL for Nintendo DS

Blog Entries

NDS pokeyDS : Emulator Atari 800XL for Nintendo DS

Alekmaul has released a new Atari 800XL emulator for Nintendo DS

Heres info and screenshot etc:

Here is an Atari 800 XL emulator for DS!
    This emulator is based on atari800 (http://atari800.sourceforge.net/) to emulate all components of the Atari.

History
    The family XL was introduced by the model 1200xl. But its incompatibility with the veterans 400 and 800 made him quickly obsolete. It was the 600XL and 800XL, built in 1983, which could make the most extensive libraries of their predecessors. He succeeded in atari 400 (1979), the atari 800 (1979), the 1200 XL (1982), and 600 XL (1983).

The 600XL was the model entry level, with 16K of RAM, expandable to 64. The 800XL came with 64k of RAM. The big differences with the ancestors were linked to the memory and the operating system.

But Commodore, with the C64, practiced aggressive prices and took advantage. The trouble began for Atari at the beginning of 1984, with the boom of video game consoles.

The problems associated with the new production lines have delayed the entry of the machine on the market. Originally intended to replace the 1200XL in mid-83, the machines did not arrive before the end of 1983, and far fewer machines than expected were available during the Christmas period 1983.

Nevertheless, the 800XL is the most popular computer sold by Atari. The 1400XL and 1450XLD saw their delivery date postponed to give priority to the Atari 600XL/800XL and later by the system 3600. Ultimately, the 1400XL was eventually canceled outright, and 1450XLD delayed until also be canceled. The XE System was the answer to the soft Japanese. Without success.

We must also know that we could connect to the chain via a large square, a floppy drive, tape, printer, and so on. The USB hour before then. This is called pseudo USB then ORC.

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

DCEmu Pro

Another great day for emulator lovers! Thank you again alekmaul! The pomDS apple2 emulator was incredible and now another dream comes true! I owned a C64, but also dreamed of owning an Atari800 and an Apple2 as well. Now I can on my DS.

Thank you, keep up the great work!

edit: Wow! The GUI is perfect, and compatibility is very high.

While it is great you have joystick in the first release, it seems to have trouble pressing fire button while moving. It seemed I had to release one direction to move in a new one, so diagonal movement was hard. Sound needs help. I could save in Ultima4, but not in some others. I haven't tested saves a lot. It did freeze up on me during prolonged use(maybe three times).

These are not gripes, this is an incredible first release. I just wanted to point out what I found, so if others have the same problems, they'll know it isn't just them.

Did I mention thank you to alekmaul?

DCEmu Newbie

Excuse my lack of english. Only to say THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your excelent work in the emulation arena, Mr. Alekmaul. It's a nice surprise that you ported this atari8bit emulator to the DS, i love that machine.

Didnt test yet, but want to thank you for this one and also the excelent Amstrad CPC emulator.

Never stop the good work. Infinite thanks from Chile.

I have the same issues. I'm pretty sure the controls are still mapped to the keyboard rather than acting as an actual joystick because on the PC if you play via keyboard it acts the same where in you can't hold more than one button at once otherwise in game like Spy Hunter you'll turn left and just keep going until you have let off all controls then make your next move.

Other than that and the sound, I am impressed. The GUI is great and it really brings me back to the day when I had 20 of these puppies, manuals, boxes, with PLENTY of software, and tons of hard drives and other strange expansions.

BTW all, be sure to check out:

http://yoomp.atari.pl/

Which is something you REALLY need sound working for, but the controls kinda work out if you are careful.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wDoZu9f0bEs

Alekmaul has just released a new version with the controller problem solved. :thumbup:

DCEmu Pro

Wow that was quick. Just fantastic

DCEmu Newbie

Wow! I have been waiting forever for this emulator! I had an Atari400 (modded with 48KB RAM !! and a real keyboard replacement for the membrane).

I played Eastern Front 1941 on it. The memories! I still suck!
    Last edited by Mr.Peanut; December 21st, 2007 at 13:44.

Thread Information