Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extra 32 MBytes Now Accessible ?

Blog Entries

psp Extra 32 MBytes Now Accessible ?

SamuraiX posted this over at ps2dev:

Moonlight has incorporated the addition 32 MBytes to Malloc() when using his SDK for M33-3 (Looking at sample memory test).

This is great news, meaning if you include the SDK with your current project you will now have direct malloc access to the additional memory.

I can't wait to incorporate support for additional memory on my project (OpenBOR) now!

Thank You Moonlight!!!

Does this mean that all emulators can use the extra memory, lets hope so

DCEmu Regular

A lot of emulators just don't need more RAM, they need more MHz.

Yeah this is mentioned in the 3.71 M33-3 changelog.

Wonder if this will help StrmnNrmn, I know he explained memory wouldn't really help from the Slim's point of view. But with this more memory on the PSP1000 might somehow help, I think I'm just wishing though because I doubt this will help him but I can dream.

DarthPaul,

Yes it was....

Thats why i looked at the sample to see how additional 32 MBytes would be available this time around.

Previously, the additional 32 MBytes were available in user mode but it was only accessible through the use of specific memory addressing and filling the data with memset().

90% (Being probably very generous here with my statistic) of all applications use malloc (C Language) for reserving memory for their application, so the use of specific addressing would not be as easily used for most programmers without writing some type of memory management system.

However, Since Moonlight has gone the extra mile for supporting malloc() I wanted to say.... Thank You

Since now its no more than including his libraries and setting a FLAG to enable the extra memory space on the slim versus having to write a PSP specific memory management system.

This works out great for me as my project has remained compatible across 7 different platforms with only minor changes to the IO interfaces.

more memory, more space. simple

i hope this does not cause devs to leave the old psp for development of homebrew.

I do not want to get a slim, mainly because there is no real point. Its just been shaved a little and added a tv out port. Well done.... but i dont really want to see my psp screen on a tv when its supposed to be portable and the little size change is so pointless its untrue.

I can only speak for myself, but I have reached a point in my application where optimized memory handling is done. I can't squeeze anymore optimizations in the application and modders of OpenBOR are continuously pushing the limits of the engine as far as memory and cpu is concerned.

Now while for the PSP slim or phat we do have enough processing power it always comes down to the how much ram a console has.

Personally, I love the phat and would never think of purchasing another unit, but i love OpenBOR/Beats of Rage and the Engine is tweaked to the max in the memory department and there are mods coming down the pipe that are groundbreaking in this genre, which I really want to play on the go.

Lastly, It will be greatly help me having two PSP(s) in order to implement wifi multiplayer onto the Engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Airdevil View Post
    i hope this does not cause devs to leave the old psp for development of homebrew.

I do not want to get a slim, mainly because there is no real point.
    Me too, I think the slim is useless, if it had a T.V tuner then I'd by it!

I may be able to use this...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information