Thread: Review: D2CKey Wii Modchip (D2C only)

Reviews Webmaster/Reviewer bandit's Avatar

Rev Review: D2CKey Wii Modchip (D2C only)

D2CKey Wii Modchip (D2C only)
    Manufacturer: D2CKey (aka WiiKey)
    Site: Buy from OzModChips
    Price: $60.00 ($64.90 AUD)

Overview : D2CKey is the worlds first Wii modchip that is compatible with D2C consoles. D2C is the name of the chipset that the Wii modchips need to exploit in order to work. Before D2C it was a lot easier to mod a console as there was a massive security flaw left open by 'the Big N'. They have now closed this flaw, and for 2 months, people with D2C console had to sit there with their thumbs in their mouths. That is until the D2CKey team (a spinoff of WiiKey) figured it out. If you know WiiKey, you know that they are perfectionists, and don't bring out hardware that isn't perfect.

Many people think it is a curse to get a D2C console, but with the D2CKey, you actually might be the lucky one. The modchip features an Actel chip, which is known for its reliable and stealth features.

Access control LEDs
    • LED 1: disc access indicator.
    • LED 2: data patching indicator
      • Flashes smoothly during disc insertion and detection
      • Lit when backup is detected (after disclogin)
      • Off when original is detected

DVD media compatibility
    • DVD+-R
    • DVD+-RW
    • Dual-layer DVD (movies and GCOS)

Game disc support
    • Direct boot of Wii original and backup games from the same region
    • Direct boot of Gamecube original and backup games from the same region
    • Direct boot of different NTSC region Wii and GC games on USA and JAP consoles
    • Partial region free support on Wii and GC original and backup games with different videomode (ie PAL<->USA, JAPAN)
    • Improved readsettings for recordable media
    • Supports running GC games at Wii diskspeed
    • GC Audiostreaming Fix
    • Supports full-size DVD and DVD9 discs for GC homebrew
    • Supports GC multigame discs
    • Supports Wii and GC multidisc games

True stealth mode
    • Does not modify RAM, making it virtually undetectable for the Wii
    • Full command set emulation

Quality/Usability : For those who purchased a Nintendo Wii with a D2C chipset have been sitting at twiddling their thumbs waiting for a way to play homebrew and other games on their Nintendo Wii. Nintendo has revised the Wii to prevent modchips whether it be revising the motherboard, new chipset or cutting legs. But like all hackers/modders, they are reluctant to give up.

The D2CKey is the worlds first D2C modchip for the Nintendo Wii and the first to be able to bypass Super Mario Galaxy's encryption that prevented current modchips to not be able to play the game (WiiKey, CycloWiz and others have released upgraded firmwares to be able to play Super Mario Galaxy). D2CKey is brought to you by the same team who released the well known WiiKey.

D2CKey only and I mean only works on D2C Wii's. If you have a DMS, D2A or D2B, use the WiiKey. The WiiKey will not work on D2C Wii's, that is why there are two different modchips. If you dont know what chipset you have or if it has the cutlegs, you can find out by entering your Wii serial number into the WiiTracker database and it would give you an estimation of what is inside your console. You can also help out by adding your serial number along with origin, whether or not pins are cut, missing WiiKey solder pad #3, and if you're a modder/hobbyist or installer/repairer. This will help expand the database for those searching.

The D2CKey is built on a high quality PCB board with a Actel chip that powers it.

Installation : I wont go into detail on installation but let me start off by stating that the installation is NOT for the novice and should not be performed if you are a newbie or have little experience in soldering. I have no soldering skills so I had a friend who is experienced perform the installation on a recently purchased Wii. Reason for this is because installation requires 31 wires to be soldered. You can find installation guides at D2CKey's Resource page.

To enter region free compatibility, you will need to close the jumper(s) JP1 and/or JP2 on the D2CKey to match the region of your Wii. If you do not close JP1 or JP2, there will be no region override. Closing JP2 will patch PAL. Closing JP1 will patch USA (NTSC) and if both JP1 and JP2 are closed, this will patch Japan (NTSC).

Once installation is completed, whats different about the D2Ckey from the rest of the other modchips is that there is no need to set up, reflash, upgrade, or fiddle around. D2Ckey automatically detects what kind of disc is inserted, and configures the drive accordingly.

There are two LEDs on the D2CKey. This will inform you when discs are being read and detected. Of course, this is only visible when you still have the Wii disassembled. Once you close up your Nintendo Wii, you wont be able to see it unless you have the chip hanging on the outside.

Wii/GameCube Compatibility : All original Wii games booted up and flawlessly. Testing backups of the original games also resulted in a flawless boot up. Testing GameCube games posted the same result. But I noticed if you're switching from a GameCube game to a Nintendo Wii game, it sometimes would not work. This would require you to reset the Wii. Whats great for those playing GameCube games is that the GameCube audiostreaming fix is built-in.

Homebrew Compatibility : Unfortunately, I wasnt able to try the homebrew out.

Conclusion : Overall, D2CKey Wii Modchip (D2C only) is well built and works flawlessly. Considering its the first D2C modchip, its excellent. Great thing about it is no more set up discs. Just install and start using. No word on how the D2CKey would update if it was to be needed. Probably via DVD/CD like others. There is also no word on what future upgrade features we will see for the D2CKey.

Please note that none of the "upgrade" products listed in this site are endorsed by Nintendo, Sony and/or Microsoft. DCEmu Reviews and DCEmu Network does not condone piracy. The primary functions of a "modchip" and/or "flashcart" are to allow you to play imported games and homebrew software that you legally own or simply just for experimenting with hardware. We in no way endorse piracy, and encourage all users to do the right thing and support the developers/manufacturers that support them. We do not take any responsibilities for any use outside of these parameters or where the use of such a device is illegal.

Images via comments
    Last edited by bandit; March 19th, 2008 at 02:28.
    Follow us (1KIND Photography): Website | YouTube | Facebook | Twitter
    Follow Us (DCEmu Reviews): YouTube | Facebook | Twitter

DCEmu Newbie

Angry

D2Ckey is not flawless after all..

I bought the Japan Wii with D2Ckey...
    put Mario Galaxy-USA into my Wii..
    not only I got "2-channel syndrome" I cannot even play "Mario Galaxy".

System Info:
    D2Ckey with an update to 3.1J
    Maxell DVD+R @ 2.4x burning speed.

Problem detail:
    It run an update to 3.1 automaticly, then it gave me '2-channel syndrome'. it gave me a black screen when trying to run 'Mario Galaxy'

well, at least I can play Wii Sport for now..

can the d2c modchip be updated

Reviews Webmaster/Reviewer bandit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by one winged angel View Post
    can the d2c modchip be updated
    Yes it should be able to update but there is no update released for it.
    Follow us (1KIND Photography): Website | YouTube | Facebook | Twitter
    Follow Us (DCEmu Reviews): YouTube | Facebook | Twitter

DCEmu Newbie

hi,
    i have a moded wii. I thing it is d2c chip (not 100% sure). My old backup games work without any problem, but new ones like "super smesh bros. brawl" doesn"t. I heard that I have to update my mod chip firmware, but i dont know if this is true, and also how to do it.

Can anyone help me?
    How can I check if i have d2c? Is it possible to do it without open my wii?
    How can I update d2c firmware?
    Where can i download the new firmware?
    Last edited by fezpbr; December 31st, 2008 at 14:13.

Thread Information