Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: PicoDrive for PSP released - Genesis/Sega CD Emulator for PSP

Dream Coder

Quote Originally Posted by IDidMyTime View Post
    That may be the case but even you would have to admit it would be extremely interesting to see the results of those ports, and i honestly believe they would be faster then the current.

UltraHLE only supports a few games but i would rather have 3 full speed games then 10 'playable' ones, its good for the community that Daedelus is worked on but i just hope there will be enough interest at some point for it, since i dont believe Daedelus will run anything at full speed, not even Mario64.
    The only reason it would be faster is because in order to port it at all, massive portions of them would have to be rewritten, and whoever did would make it psp-centric.
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

DS User

Quote Originally Posted by IDidMyTime View Post
    That may be the case but even you would have to admit it would be extremely interesting to see the results of those ports, and i honestly believe they would be faster then the current.

UltraHLE only supports a few games but i would rather have 3 full speed games then 10 'playable' ones, its good for the community that Daedelus is worked on but i just hope there will be enough interest at some point for it, since i dont believe Daedelus will run anything at full speed, not even Mario64.
    No, it would not be any faster if they were "ported".

For Example, znes cannot be "ported". It was designed to run on Intel x86 architecture computers, there is not even a proper PowerPC version to start things of (Only Intel Macs can run it).
    Znes is written in assembly language(Again for Intel x86) and therefore the code is obsolete to the PSP (Which uses MIPS). In order to "port" it would have to be an emulator written from scratch basically. The final aim might be the same but the way to get there is very different.
    I don't know much about UltraHLE, but I know that it is not a "full" emulator. It relies heavily on the graphics card the computer is running to interpret C calls in the game.

Finally, about Daedalus you might be right. It might never be full speed, but why not wait until StrmnNrmn finishes his work on the media engine before making the call? I believe it should give the emu a significant speed up when using sound (Which a lot of people do).

Finally, I can play Sonic CD while on the go

This is the best I have ever seen. Now I can play Sega CD on the go rather trying to use my xbox lol.

DCEmu Legend

psp Incredible Release!

Wow, Notaz, really good stuff here. For quite a while now I have been getting lost in nostalgia trying out a bunch of old school Genesis & Sega CD games.

What blew me away most was that I pretty much just use my Slim & Lite PSP now and the latest version of DGEN doesn't work on the Slim. So out of nowhere you not only made it possible for Slim PSP's to play Sega CD but it also turns out to be the best Genesis/MegaDrive emulator for the PSP. All games I have been throwing at it work perfect with 0 frameskip. Perfect or near perfect emulation on just about every Genesis game.

The way the games are rendered on screen just looks really great and the sound on a lot of games is unbelievable.

I know you are putting this project on the back-burner for some time but please don't abandon it. This is too good of an emulator to not try and squeeze every last ounce of potential out of.

For those that wish to donate to Notaz, what is his PayPal info? Anyone know?

DCEmu Coder

Quote Originally Posted by siulmagic View Post
    im having problems with lunar 2 im stuck in a cutscene i cant see to get past it, its were you meet the girl in the green crystal, the cut scene plays ok but like half way it freezes i know the cut scene is still going cus the audio keeps playing after abit the audio stops and the hangs apparently do the cd leds the red one keeps blinking
    Do you have a savestate before it happens (must be some time before it crashes)? Try enabling "better sync" in Sega CD options, load the state and see if it passes.

Quote Originally Posted by quzar View Post
    The only reason it would be faster is because in order to port it at all, massive portions of them would have to be rewritten, and whoever did would make it psp-centric.
    PicoDrive's Sega CD code is basically done this way from Gens' x86 asm (although some parts were done from scratch using the docs).

Quote Originally Posted by Veskgar View Post
    [...]
    So out of nowhere you not only made it possible for Slim PSP's to play Sega CD but it also turns out to be the best Genesis/MegaDrive emulator for the PSP.
    Well it's not "out of nowhere", I've been working on PicoDrive for nearly 2 years now (with some breaks to work on other projects). First it was developed for UIQ2 smartphones, later (and still) for GP2X, and now I've also adapted it to PSP (+ added some specific stuff, like hardware mp3 decoding and scaling).

I know you are putting this project on the back-burner for some time but please don't abandon it. This is too good of an emulator to not try and squeeze every last ounce of potential out of.
    Well there are still some things to do for it but I am not sure if (when) I'm going to do them.

For those that wish to donate to Notaz, what is his PayPal info? Anyone know?
    PayPal has banned my country from receiving funds, but there is one reliable person receiving funds on my behalf, more info here. Note that if you donate, you donate for things I've done, not something I'll do in the future (which may be nothing at all).

Wow. I just deleted Dgen. Thanks a bunch notaz, it's amazing how much difference a bit of a speed boost has on the play experience. Can't wait to dig Lunar out of the closet and take it for a spin.

Thanks for making the 1.50 compatible EBOOT. Works like a charm!

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Baboon View Post
    Who cares - its still new to the psp scene!

If programs are ported over and are as polished as this one then I'm v happy with that! :thumbup:

What else is left that the psp can steal from the gp2x community? lol
    lead see gp2x community has 1 emulator that psp will never have T2K Jaguar Emulator the best Jaguar Emulator on handheld
    1 thing it is closed source and the original author dio don't want it to appear on close platform

Quote Originally Posted by argor View Post
    lead see gp2x community has 1 emulator that psp will never have T2K Jaguar Emulator the best Jaguar Emulator on handheld http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YYnPTlHRNE
    1 thing it is closed source and the original author dio don't want it to appear on close platform
    Thats fine, I can live without a Jaguar emulator anyway - there really weren't many games on it that did anything for me.

...I'd much rather have a 100% fullspeed ps1 emulator built in to my psp.

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by ab88 View Post
    No, it would not be any faster if they were "ported".

For Example, znes cannot be "ported". It was designed to run on Intel x86 architecture computers, there is not even a proper PowerPC version to start things of (Only Intel Macs can run it).
    Znes is written in assembly language(Again for Intel x86) and therefore the code is obsolete to the PSP (Which uses MIPS). In order to "port" it would have to be an emulator written from scratch basically. The final aim might be the same but the way to get there is very different.
    I don't know much about UltraHLE, but I know that it is not a "full" emulator. It relies heavily on the graphics card the computer is running to interpret C calls in the game.

Finally, about Daedalus you might be right. It might never be full speed, but why not wait until StrmnNrmn finishes his work on the media engine before making the call? I believe it should give the emu a significant speed up when using sound (Which a lot of people do).
    Yes your right about ZSnes, It would be a pain to get running, however it is possible, The exact same thing was said about it in the xbox community, and because of that reason it was one of the very last things to come out of the community, however the results were spectacular.

I had Mario64 running at full speed with a Voodoo1 card and a 300mhz PC back in the day, its not a 'full' emulator but whatever games it does emulate it does it extremely well.

Dont get me wrong, Im not slanting what has been released, i would just just love to know how well these would work on the PSP, will it ever happen? probably not since there really is very little interest, but you never know.

Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread Information