Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: PicoDrive for PSP released - Genesis/Sega CD Emulator for PSP

DCEmu Regular

Quote Originally Posted by jpolz View Post
    Define full speed?

I can only find a few games that run full speed on snesTYL (0 frameskip). The rest have to be on at least 1.
    You aren't trying very hard then, most games that don't use special chipsets run at 60 fps/0 frameskip unless they're using lots of mode 7 effects, assuming that you're using the right settings. Maybe some games drop a few frames if there's lots of sprites on screen or something but that happens pretty rarely, pretty much every game runs with a median framerate of 60.

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by SpacemanSpiff View Post
    You aren't trying very hard then, most games that don't use special chipsets run at 60 fps/0 frameskip unless they're using lots of mode 7 effects, assuming that you're using the right settings. Maybe some games drop a few frames if there's lots of sprites on screen or something but that happens pretty rarely, pretty much every game runs with a median framerate of 60.
    [OT]Yes I agree, snesTYL is a good emulator whit some usefull options.

Tinnus! Can you add a black level adjustment on snesTYL? This option is very usefull on sony popstation for delete the ghosting problems.[/OT]

Notaz, sorry for this OT... But is possible this option also on picodrive? Unfortunately the gamma adjustment doesn't reduced the ghosting effect.

DCEmu Coder

I have nothing to do with snesTYL besides reading the source :P Never really worked on it nor have the urge to.

That doesn't sound too hard to do though, if someone's up to it.

DCEmu Newbie VideoGameObsession's Avatar

Tinnus: While you're not working on SnesTYL can you also add a rewind/ffward/mirror function? :P

DCEmu Rookie

There is nothing fancy about this emulator (no dynarecs/asm cores), but it's still able to run many Genesis games fullspeed with no frameskip (including some CD ones), and others with some skipping. However there are some CD games which won't run too well (although situation can be improved by tweaking some options). This emulator uses hardware MP3 decoding via audiocodec library in PSP.

Could someone explain to me what dynarecs/asm cores are?

Disclaimer: I am not a game programmer, and know very little other than the basic theory behind these things. Feel free to correct me ppl.

animekid4:

In very basic terms, an emulator can either employ a interpreter core or an interpreter+Dynarec (dynamic recompiler). A dynarec can make the emulation faster basically, so is useful for emulating more powerful hardware using the limited PSP hardware.

An interpreter takes the game data meant for the original machine (megadrive in this case) one executed action at a time, and translates it into code that will run on the host platform (PSP).

A Dynarec can look at a larger block of code, and possibly turn it into a chunk of code that is more optimised for the PSP hardware than simply translating each action of the original Megadrive hardware 1 by 1 would acheive.

ASM means assembly language.
    Most programs are written in what's known as a 'higher level' language like C, and then put through whats known as a compiler. The compiler takes generic statements like 'If A is bigger than B, take this action.....' and turns it into the exact actions that the CPU/other hardware must do to make that happen.
    This makes it easier to program, and also makes the code easier to port between systems.

Writing code in assembly language is like controlling the inner-workings of the hardware directly. By doing this it is often possible to write code that is more optimised for that particular hardware than a compiler may produce. It requires a great deal of knowledge of the target hardware to write something useful in assembly, and a good compiler may often create code just as optimised as less-than-brilliant assembly, so it is reserved mostly for when there really is a strong need for a speedup of certain parts of a program.

DCEmu Newbie

Found that this emu does not play some games as smooth as dgen...the prob im having with dgen since updating to 3.71 is that even with hide corrupt icons enabled i still get the corrupt icon ! ive tried renaming and a few icon hiding programs but nothing works ,Anyone else have this prob?
    This is most annoying:P

DCEmu Newbie VideoGameObsession's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tithe AD View Post
    Found that this emu does not play some games as smooth as dgen...the prob im having with dgen since updating to 3.71 is that even with hide corrupt icons enabled i still get the corrupt icon ! ive tried renaming and a few icon hiding programs but nothing works ,Anyone else have this prob?
    This is most annoying:P
    Which games do you think run smoother in D-Gen? I haven't run into any games that don't run smoothly (rom) and many Sega-CD's run great as well.

Have you tried adjusting the settings? Many people complaining about it being glitchy are obviously running it on speed and not the accurate gfx setting. I run most of my games at 250Mhz, 44.1KHz, accurate, 0 frameskip and they run at 60fps. Some of the more complex coded games; Sonic 3, Gunstar Heroes may need the full 333MHz power though

Is there any way to change my DGEN save files to a format that compatible with Picodrive?

just play through em again - its what playing old systems are all about - fun.

i might add for those running the games with 44k sound - the original system only used 22k so thats a bit of a waste of power - all my games run fine (some if you adjust timing settings) but i have absolutly no speed problems at all.

Thread Information